Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The questions is pretty straight forward. Do you prefer to use a collar or a harness while walking? The snow is starting to melt around here and the day is coming where we will be taking our baby boy out for walks so I am just wondering what most people prefer. I'm thinkin a harness might be safest because they are so small and delicate I would hate to hurt him somehow by givin the leash a little bit of a yank if I have to.

·
Registered
768 Posts
defo a harness... so much more safer in lots of different ways.. they cant wiggle out of a harness as easy as they could by slipping the collar, and also its safter on their little throats if u did have yank the lead.
I walked Lola not so long ago with a collar and lead as her harness was being repaired and i really hated it! i felt like she wasnt safe bcoz i was paranoid she was going to slip the collar etc and i just couldnt wait 2 get the harness back for her!
I would just say dont waste your time on collars, get a harness :D

·
Banned
6,940 Posts
Mine wear both -- collar for identification, harness for walking/leash attachment. IMO a harness comes off too easily for it to be considered an appropriate means of identification. A collar that won't fit over the dog's head isn't goin' anywhere.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I've found that both with my chi and with my fiance's pit bull a harness works best. Both dogs get excited when we go for walks and tend to pull (at least when we first head out.) We were having problems with Kiara (the pit bull) pulling on the collar and out of fear that she would hurt herself (or, heaven forbid, we would accidentally hurt her) we invested in a harness. Best decision ever. Not only does it spare us the fear of hurting her, we also found that we have better control of her and she actually pulls less when we use the harness. Since we had such great success with Kiara, we bought Honey (my chi) a harness very shortly after I got her. We've experienced the same results with Honey that we had previously with Kiara. So, my vote, especially when it comes to walks, goes to the harness!

·
Registered
768 Posts
yea i agree with you Kristi about the id on collars, mine used to wear both out but have the lead attached to the harness, just feels safer for us as my girls can freak when they see other dogs, i can control them better with a harness!!

·
Registered
25 Posts
And to add to Kristi's comment (I actually intended to add this to my response anyway, but forgot) both Honey and Kiara also wear collars for identification purposes. As an additional safety measure, we also have them micro-chipped. You just can't be too safe when you love your dogs as much as we all do! :D

·
Administrator
11,989 Posts
I am harness only person and just when they are outside. I am afraid of collars as so many things can happen to choke the dog, especially if they where them 24/7. A few examples one of which I just heard lately is... A friend has Great Danes and they were wrestling and one of the paws got trapped in her bitches collar and he started to freak and so did she, thankfully she was there and saw it and was able to release them. She said it twisted so fast that it would have certainly choked her. Also I see Chi's playing with other Chi's when they have the metal dangling from their collars and this can hit another Chi in the soft spot. Lastly, with the collapsing trachea and how fragile their throats are it just worries me. JMHO ;-)

·
Banned
6,940 Posts
I am harness only person and just when they are outside. I am afraid of collars as so many things can happen to choke the dog, especially if they where them 24/7. A few examples one of which I just heard lately is... A friend has Great Danes and they were wrestling and one of the paws got trapped in her bitches collar and he started to freak and so did she, thankfully she was there and saw it and was able to release them. She said it twisted so fast that it would have certainly choked her. Also I see Chi's playing with other Chi's when they have the metal dangling from their collars and this can hit another Chi's in the soft spot. Lastly, with the collapsing trachea and how fragile their throats are it just worries me. JMHO ;-)
The collars were way too loose then! A great dane's paw is pretty dang big lol...it should NOT in any way be able to fit between another dog's collar and its neck. I have often seen big dog owners just letting the collars hang loosely on the dog's necks...to me that's just flat out negligence.

I firmly believe a collar is an important method of idenification. If them getting caught or stuck is a worry to someone, get the quick release collar then. Ours don't wear collars inside but if they are setting foot outside the house on goes a *properly fitted* collar.

·
Administrator
11,989 Posts
I think it was the claw that got stuck and not the paw itself. My apologies for not being clear. I keep their identification on their harnesses and I cant imagine the harnesses coming off? They are also chipped :)

·
Banned
6,940 Posts
Mine can all wiggle out of their harnesses if they really want, I guess that's why they wear collars. A claw makes a little more sense, cuz their paws are HUGE.

·
Administrator
6,452 Posts
I use a harness for walking Zoey and only put a collar on if we are going out . I would never hook a leash on it though, wouldn't want any trachea damage. I have had Zoey get out of her harness before though, by backing out of it. That was when she was much younger and it was a bit big.

·
Registered
14,441 Posts
I use a harness for walking. I make sure and test it before we got and gently lift him up off the ground with the leash. I've had to use this in an emergency situation when we got rushed by a large dog out of nowhere. I just jerked the leash and he was in my arms in a second.

·
Registered
6,831 Posts
I use harnesses for walking. I'd never use a collar to walk a chi.

·
Premium Member
16,071 Posts
Another harness user here. We don't use collars.

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
Draco wears a harness for walking and when he is connected to his car seat. His tags are on the harness as that is what he is in 99% of the time. If he is going somewhere with me where he "might" get outside or away from me, then he also wears a collar with his name and my contact info. Unfortunatley, he has slipped his harness on occasion by backing out of it. Twice, it caused me a baby heart attack. Need to get another buddy belt. He outgrew his and they a pretty spendy, but not so much when the boys life is at stake.

·
Registered
327 Posts
Does anyone use a gentle leader? I was recommended this by the vet for Pepper since she is such a spaz. I don't put her in it anymore because the only time she pulls is when someone reaches to pet her. I just inform people that she is not to be touched because she is still learning trust and people seem to listen.

I use collars for Coco and Pepper, but they don't pull when we walk and I'm constantly looking for a good harnesses because the collar makes me nervous. My toy fox constantly trys to hang herself, she is very much a terrier on her walks. She had a harness, but outgrew it then chewed it up while losing weight to get back in it. I am probably going to save up to get puppia ones, they seem a good fit for lots of chi people and I like the look too.

·
Registered
210 Posts
I've used lead and collar once or twice when I forgot my harness's and I was at a friends but no whenever they got for their walks they have a harness!

I have collars too:) But they only were them outside or for photos ect!x

1 - 20 of 23 Posts