Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am brand spanking new to teeny dogs. Spacely is a 7 lb long haired Chihuahua. Prior to him, my smallest dog has been 43 lbs so I am trying to learn about little dogs.

He is currently in a collar but I see lots of people use a harness.

What are the advantages to a harness over a collar and is there a specific kind that is more recommended?

I would likely still have a collar on him just so he can have his ID on him at all time (he is being microchipped shortly as well)

·
Registered
376 Posts
I've read that harnesses are better since small breeds like chi's are easy to get trachea collapse. With that being said, I'm not EXACTLY sure what trachea collapse is. We have a harness and it just looks so scratchy and uncomfy on my short haired guy. Kind of like I need to put a shirt on under it to buffer it. So we've been using a collar and I'm just super careful when I'm leading him on a leash. Thankfully he took to a leash very well. Less fighting, less strangling.

·
Administrator
5,713 Posts
I use collars on my two. I did spend time training them to walk nicely on the lead too, so they don't pull.
I love Gunner BTW, I would love a blue Chi, blue is my favorite animal colour. We have a blue and white cat and a blue otter rex rabbit. My next Chi will hopefully be blue.

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
I use the collar for ID but highly recommend a harness for walking. Even if your little guy doesn't pull, there could be a time when you need to grab him/her (for example, from a charging dog as I have had to do), and you can just grab the harness. I also use a harness on Finn in his car seat and when he's in his hiking front-pack.

·
Registered
3,126 Posts
Harnesses only for my crew. Collars are just for ID purposes. Collapsing trachea is what causes that sort of wheezing, "reverse sneeze" that some do when even a small amount of pressure is applied to the neck. Only if a dog were properly trained to walk on a "loose lead" i.e. not tense, pulling forward would I recommend walking them on a collar. Harnesses are just safer all around, they don't apply any pressure to the neck and like others have said make it very easy to "retract" them in emergencies LOL. Blue Chi, what kind of harness are you using? A lot of us here use the puppia style, which are very soft/padded so they are comfortable as well as secure.

My fave harnesses are the ipuppyone brand, and I get them from store; plus they are unique and affordable.

http://www.pupincloset.com/Default.asp?Redirected=Y

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the reply. He walks on a very loose leash and I have been very careful to not pull.

I will look into getting him a harness but keep his collar for ID purposes.

I appreciate the link :)

·
Read Only
1,949 Posts
I use harnesses. My two wear collars to carry their ID tags and license.

I like the ipuppyone harnesses from pupincloset.com

The flex harnesses are adjustable around the neck.

·
Registered
376 Posts
Harnesses only for my crew. Collars are just for ID purposes. Collapsing trachea is what causes that sort of wheezing, "reverse sneeze" that some do when even a small amount of pressure is applied to the neck. Only if a dog were properly trained to walk on a "loose lead" i.e. not tense, pulling forward would I recommend walking them on a collar. Harnesses are just safer all around, they don't apply any pressure to the neck and like others have said make it very easy to "retract" them in emergencies LOL. Blue Chi, what kind of harness are you using? A lot of us here use the puppia style, which are very soft/padded so they are comfortable as well as secure.

My fave harnesses are the ipuppyone brand, and I get them from store; plus they are unique and affordable.

http://www.pupincloset.com/Default.asp?Redirected=Y
I just have a standard adjustable harness from Petsmart. Made out of the same material as a standard collar. It just seems to stiff and scratchy. I'm gonna go check out ur link now.

ETA: Oh My Word! Never seen anything like that. Those are so cute and they look so comfy.

·
Read Only
0 Posts
We use a harness for walks. Pico gags at the slightest collar pressure. Puppia are great. Walmart has a nice no-pull for about 9 bucks...
Collars in the house for tags. I am a collar junkie!

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
My dogs wear a collar all the time that hold their names and info. When we go for walks we use their harness! Unless it's on a rare quick occasions but always put the harness on when we plan for walks/going to the park. They are the best for walking, as others said the harness is good for them and the collars can hurt them while walking.

·
Registered
354 Posts
Just wanted to pop into this post to support the other reviews of the ipuppyone harnesses. :) Teddy's been wearing his for about a year and a half and several people have asked me where I got it.

·
Registered
1,659 Posts
shi my buster wears a lightweight collar we have a fenced in yard so he runs at freewill out in public a harness is the best hes protected and if i need to pick him up fast its the best with harness youll have to shop around for what you want theres so manys

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I ordered Spacely a black Air-Flex harness. I liked the ones with patterns but none were manly enough for him. Since he is long haired, I am hoping this will be cool enough for him. I have a Boomerang tag on order for him as well, to go on his collar.

Can't wait for it to get here.

Thanks for the suggestions all :)

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I was a little nervous after I ordered last night, thinking I got the harness too small. I stopped in at a local whole foods type pet store and they had ipuppyone harnesses. I tried on the XS (which I ordered) and it fits him very nicely. I got him a blue one as well just because I am impatient.

He looks very cute in it. I also found a teeny little braided bully stick for him.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Well I am a nimwit....I must have not actually changed the selection when I ordered Spacely's harness since it arrived today....a large beige one! :noops:

I am going to send it back to exchange for the correct size. I did check to see if it would fit Tinsel since if it would, I would keep it for her. Sadly, the large is right on her measurements so I would get her an XL. Her chest is right about 26" and this harness goes to 26 3/4" Really, she would look better in black anyway :coolwink:

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I have to give a big shout out to Pupincloset. They really have exceptional customer service. I ordered the incorrect size and was able to exchange it for the correct size/color with no problem. I would definately recommend them and plan to order from them again.

Spacely looks pretty spiffy in his new black Air-Flex harness.

·
Registered
3,126 Posts
Yay Spacely! Welcome to the ipuppyone gang lol! I love their harnesses so much. When Tequila was spayed I had accidentally left the harness beside her crate that she was resting in... and she pulled it through and chewed through one of the nylon pieces. =( I used some superglue and fused the ends back together... it turned out great lol. I just couldn't bare to part with it <33 lol

·
Registered
2,206 Posts
Both mine use harnesses only. I order pretty much all their stuff from BaxterBoo.com. The harnesses they're wearing in my siggy picture are from there.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts