Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
4,172 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay. My girls do not have collars and have never had one on. My sweet boy never did either. I know, I am bad. I am expecting that they will welcome these about as much as they welcome my trying to dress them.
They (like he was) are inside 90% of the time and we are carrying them or they are on harness/lead the remainder. We live on a creek (and a hill) and do not have a fence. As a result, they are never really free roaming. They will be also be microchipped at spay.

Do they need to wear a collar all of the time? Do any of you put tags on their harnesses?

So, what type/brand collar would you recommend and what about tags? I saw some collars on etsy that have a little "slide" tag sewn in so it does not jingle nor rub against them. I could also get matching collars to their park avenue harnesses when I order. If you got tag separate from collar, where did you find bitty tags?

I suppose I should get them.
Thank you!!!

·
Administrator
6,452 Posts
Zoey has several collars but only wears them when we go out mostly as an accessory. As she never roams free. I get the collars and small tags off ebay and mostly are just bling. Her rabies tag is way to big to put on her collar so I just keep it in the bottom of her car seat so I always have it if we go out. I would never leave a collar on while they are unattended.

·
Registered
14,441 Posts
Our dogs have always worn collars. I've never had an accident, although I'm sure it is possible. Brody has a ton of them. :) The Susan Lanci ones are great as they are so soft and lightweight. (Kind of expensive though). He is wearing a little leather tattoo collar now. All his collars have ID tags. I switch out his collar every week or so. I just feel safer knowing if something horrible would happen and he'd get out of the house and get lost - that he has immediate ID on. He's also microchipped, but he'd have to be at a shelter or vet to get scanned.

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
Mine always wear collars with a little plastic bone-shaped tag on it. They wear break-a-way cat collars so I don't worry about anything bad happening in that respect. The only problem with that is that Skylar seems to know how to get hers off and she likes to do so and chew on it! We just put it back on her.
When I recently ordered from Park Avenue Dogs, I also ordered the little claspy things that they offer to put their tag on. It screws open so it's easy to move from one collar to another (or to a harness).

·
Registered
3,693 Posts
My dogs wear them 24/7. They have their rabies tag on it. Three have their microchipped tag on it. 4 have their license on it, too. I am soooo careful with my dogs, but two days ago, Delilah was able to dig out of the yard. Of course she is the only one with no tags yet as I just got her and she has only had her yearly shots yet. Vet wanted to wait a month between shots as she is so small. But if the other dogs followed her out, they all had a way to be identified.

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
Both of mine wear their collars 24/7.

Pedro has a Harley Davidson 'spiked' collar with a small HD emblem, and Gracie has a pink snake skin with a pink rhinestone bone hanging from it. Both collars came with the charms.

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
When Finn goes outside, he wears a harness--he has several. I clip his microchip tag and ID and his "It's all about me" bling to a small, lightweight caribeener that makes it easy to quickly transfer his ID to whatever harness he's wearing.

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
I have collars for all my dogs and until I got Lacey...they were all wearing them. In the last 2 days (both on seperate occasions)..... Bailey and Addy came up missing. I was scared to death!!! My first thought was they somehow got out and they do not have any identification on them (ok..they are microchipped;) ) But luck had it...they got locked up in the kids bedroom...Whew!! Collars are going back on!!

·
Registered
355 Posts
My kids never wear their collars in the house, to bed (in their crates) or in the yard, but Pablo is my first little dog in years and the story about Delilah gives me pause. I don't think he's a digger, but then again the ground is still frozen here and you never know!

·
Registered
2,020 Posts
I think the best itty bitty tags are Red Dingo. Theyre the only tags I put on mine, our lab included, and Ive seen many many chis here wearing them too. Get the CAT size, theyre about the size of a dime, very smooth and light and really good quality. Reese has some that are several years old and they read as clearly as when we bought them.
I order mine here, she has very good prices and processes your order quickly...
Red Dingo Dog ID Tags Stainless Steel with Enamel
but you can get them everywhere, amazon.com etc, and there are a few more styles other places.
Mine also always wear collars. We take them off if theyre going in their crate and for baths, thats it. Collars are just preference, but I like leather. I was admiring the rolled leather ones that Kristi has for her guys so I set out looking for some for mine. Rolled leather is nice because they arent very bulky and dont damage their coats. To save you some time if you want to do rolled leather, the ONLY company making them small enough for chis is Auburn. But there are sooooooooo many great collars, etsy is a wonderful place to look. So much amazing dog stuff there.

·
Registered
4,172 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I think the best itty bitty tags are Red Dingo. Theyre the only tags I put on mine, our lab included, and Ive seen many many chis here wearing them too. Get the CAT size, theyre about the size of a dime, very smooth and light and really good quality. Reese has some that are several years old and they read as clearly as when we bought them.
I order mine here, she has very good prices and processes your order quickly...
Red Dingo Dog ID Tags Stainless Steel with Enamel
but you can get them everywhere, amazon.com etc, and there are a few more styles other places.
I ordered the tags. The pattern that I wanted was in the small dog assortment but showed it was the same size as the cat tag. For now I plan to attach to their harnesses. Thank you for the link!

·
Banned
6,940 Posts
We use the exact same stuff as Katy :) Rolled leather collars (just so cute it kills me!!), nice, rugged, long lasting, don't damage coats, and the size small Red Dingo tags. You are correct that the cat size and small dog size are the same, so just pick the pattern you want and go from there! I get my tags from Krazy For Pets | where you find pet supplies, pet treats, unique pet ID tags, collars, harnesses, leashes and more., they are $9 each and code I4C0VC607828 saves you 5%. Shipping is free :) I get the auburn rolled leather collars from Dog Collar Boutique: Round - Rolled Dog Collars - Dog Collar Boutique, code "EGGS" will (or should I haven't verified it) save you 12% until the end of March.

I personally love collars so mine have a ton! But their go-to collars are definitely the Auburn Rolled leather, and we also use Leather Brothers colored collars with rhinestones on them, yes even for the boys ;) Those are here: Signature Leather Crystal Dog Collars they are so so so cute. The purple is kinda dark but the pink is adorable on the girls. Everyone also has a light blue one.

·
Registered
383 Posts
I have the cutest pink Harley Davidson collars for my girls but they hardly wear them.
We don't have a fenced in yard so they never go out without us and we don't have to have their rabis tags on them all the time so we don't bother with collars except to look cute :)

·
Registered
150 Posts
i don't know if its been said, but my dogs generally don't where collars inside since they play rough. just takes one tooth or lower jaw to get caught up and one dog is choking -_- salem has a collar but honestly i can never find it anyway when we go places. i always say microchips are better then tags anyway, just wish the readers were cheaper so more rescues/pounds could have em

·
Registered
2,805 Posts
mine always wears a collar with tags because Quark and Lola got out and Quark got hit buy a car if he hadnt been wearing his tags the person wouldnt have known what ve to take him to or how to get a hold of me. For that very reason they wear them its scares me to death the idea of them getting out again and Me never seeing them again :(

·
Registered
2,206 Posts
Tango always wore a collar. After I rescued Jazz, and got her used to a collar, I had several incidents where she actually caught her lower jaw in her collar, no matter HOW much I adjusted it or what type collar I used (even a breakaway cat collar.) The last time it happened it actually caused her to bleed, and it freaked me out so badly that I just said @#$% it, took Tango's off too, and stopped using them at all. They are never outside unless they're leashed and supervised, they live upstairs with me (my roommate has the down, I have the up) so they aren't ever near a door to the outside, and I decided I didn't want to mess with it any more. They have ID tags that are clipped to their harnesses, which they wear whenever I take them anywhere.

They DO have some very cute decorative collars. Jazz has pearls and jewels and flowers and other feminine bling. Tango has scarves and studs and black shiny leather...the more macho stuff lol! And I've started using collars for seasonal events because I tend to not costume them much. Their clothes are more for warmth or comfort, or just general cuteness. But they have Christmas and Halloween collars, and I'm slowly amassing an assortment of other seasonal ones.

·
Registered
2,755 Posts
Both mine have collars as it is if I recall rightly a legal requirement for dogs to have an ID tag on them.

Like you my dogs are in the home most of the time and never wear a collar.When they go out they wear a harness and a collar. The collar is only for the ID tag and now Red has out grown his harness so need to buy a new one.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts