Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3,686 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I can't keep a collar on Twiggy because she loves at night to get in a dog bed on her back and wave her legs all around, playing with her feet and getting one of her front legs caught in her collar. No matter what kind of collar I put on her, and I tried three different kinds, she manages to get a leg caught. Anyone else have this problem or it is only my little diva?

·
Premium Member
38 Posts
My Pippin has caught her lower jaw on her collar. I was so glad I was home when I saw her do this. I made sure the collar was the right size for her by inserting two of my fingers under it. Could her collar be too loose? Maybe you could take her collar off before she goes to sleep? How about switching her to a harness instead of a collar? I'm leaning towards that for Pippin.

·
Registered
3,686 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
I make it as snug as I could without being too tight, but she still manages to get her leg in. She doesn't do it in her crate at night, just during the day when she plays with her feet in a dog bed. I never use a harness on her as that is just for walking them I feel, and I can't really walk her as she is basically a three legged dog. I like having their collars on, we always have had collars on all our dogs. It has their rabies tag on it and, by law, you must have a rabies tag on your dog all the time here. And, heaven forbid, if she gets loose, she can be returned to me by that tag.

·
Registered
384 Posts
My Pippin has caught her lower jaw on her collar. I was so glad I was home when I saw her do this. I made sure the collar was the right size for her by inserting two of my fingers under it. Could her collar be too loose? Maybe you could take her collar off before she goes to sleep? How about switching her to a harness instead of a collar? I'm leaning towards that for Pippin.

yepp! that happens to randy when ever i put a collar on him... i turn my bakk on him for 5 seconds and blam... his bottom jaw is stuck there and he's tryinq to bite it off... thats why i just use his harness...

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
This makes a good case for using break away cat collars. Skylar has always done this same thing and when she gets her bottom jaw under the collars, it just opens and falls off. Since mine have bells on their collars, it doesn't take long to notice that she doesn't have hers on and then we go find it and put it back on.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts