Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7,716 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
how soon do you start putting a collar on these little tiny necks? the one i had made for chiwi is too big and a little heavy (yeah i admit i got swarvoski crystals put on it) and the other one i ordered i think might be too big as well. eek! and where can i get a ferret harness?? the petsmart i went to were out, and so was the one they called for me to see if they ahd any and the petco by me had a gas explosion the other day and the next one to me is a little too far.

·
Registered
326 Posts
Alot of people here don't bother with collars. I do use collars. Stick to something lightweight and add a bell to it. It helps when the puppy is constantly underfoot. It takes them awhile to learn to watch out for feet! You can usually find bells in the cat dept. of major pet stores.

If you can buy online, here's one really good place for collars. Look at the top of the page for the 1/2" collars. http://www.pawshpaws.com/

Lupine makes some nice ones too. http://www.lupinepet.com/dog/sm_dog.html

·
Registered
8,578 Posts
i would start putting collars on as soon as possible, but just a few hours to begin with. because otherwise they don't want to wear it later :wink:
so just to get used to it....or they won't stop scratching :lol:

kisses nat

·
Registered
9,210 Posts
if your not taking her out "walking" right away dont worry about the harness.....but if you are I cant offer any suggestions other then pet stores.

Dept stores have pet stuff but I dont think ferret items :)

·
Registered
56 Posts
I went a little collar happy in the beginning with Nina, but it took a while for us to find one that fit right. Now, she never wears it,lol. She does wear a harness, because she is a runner, and I have to keep her on a leash when I take her out or she will be gone. We really like the harness, I got it at a boutique store and it was about 15 bucks.

·
Registered
113 Posts
The breeder I got Chili from gave me a great bit of advice when I bought him. She said she always puts cat collars with bells on them on the puppies until they are older. 1) the cat collars are usually small enough (or can be made small enough) for chis, and 2) the bell warns you that there is a chi underfoot, so you won't accidentally step on them. If it weren't for the bell, Chili could have been stepped on many times. When we started putting him on a leash, though, we changed to a harness, since I had read that chis have a notorious problem with their tracheas, throats, esophagi, etc, I didn't want him pulling on his leash with a collar that could do damage to any of those parts.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts