Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
UPDATE: Firefighter Saves One Dog With CPR - News Story - KRDO Colorado Springs
COLORADO SPRINGS, Colo. -- UPDATE: The Colorado Springs Kennel Club donates pet oxygen masks to the Stratmoor Hills Fire Department after learning it did not have the equipment through a KRDO NewRadio story.
Stratmoor Hills Firefighter Darren Pellett knows how to perform CPR on a human patient, but he said he'd never tried the life-saving procedure on an animal until Monday.
"I figured what could it hurt?" said Pellet. "The heart beats, you get the blood flowing, you get oxygen to the brain. So I went for it."
Pellett used CPR to resuscitate Kiki, a chihuahua that was one of five small dogs trapped inside a burning house at 1920 Chamberlain South. The fire was reported by the owner around 1 p.m. All five dogs were rescued, but a pet mouse died.
"Some fire companies carry canine and feline resuscitation kits," said Bryan Lynch, the assistant fire chief. "We don't have them. It was just the ingenuity of the firefighter on the scene to do that."
Although fire investigators have not officially determined the cause, homeowner Susan Hackathorn said she thinks the fire began when one of the dogs knocked over a candle she left lighted during a quick trip to the store.
"And I went to get dog food, that's the irony," Hackathorn said. "I'm very appreciative of the fire department for getting all of my dogs out alive."
The blaze caused extensive damage to the home. Hackathorn, her roommate and the dogs are staying with neighbors until an insurance adjuster surveys the damage.
"I love dogs," said Pellett, who has two of his own. "Glad I could bring one back."

·
Registered
266 Posts
That's great they saved the dogs...BUT shame on the person for leaving an un attended candle. I would be careful going into another room with a burning candle myself.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts