Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
580 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Luxie's colors are coming in!!! She is in that awkward phase where she just shed most of her fluffy puppy coat, so she looks like a short coat with fringed ears! Lol! What is this pattern called where it sort of separates in the middle of the head?

(I hope the pic posts because I'm doing this from my iPad!)

·
Registered
946 Posts
Pic turned out great...I almost always use my iPad with no problem! She is sweet, I remember when ours went through that coat loss phase. My one looked kind of elvish with the ear feathers and tail feathers but the body was more medium length and not thick. Her coloring is going to be wonderful!

·
Banned
177 Posts
She will be cream and white. The marking on her head is called a blaze. Her body will probably be cream but her ruff and underneath will be White

·
Registered
580 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks everyone!! She really is a sweetie and like Mel said of her own dog, Luxie is starting to look a little elvish too lol! Pointy fur on her feet and ears, sooo cute!! Also she has the longest eyelashes, like a real girl, I have to keep myself from putting mascara on them LOL! (That's a joke!)

She will be cream and white. The marking on her head is called a blaze. Her body will probably be cream but her ruff and underneath will be White
Thanks! That's what I am seeing too, cream on top, white underneath! Like they say: with milk cream always rises to the top LOL!!! I was looking for that word to describe it, Blaze :) Now I'm going to throw that word around like I know what I'm talking about, "Oh yeah she has a really nice blaze" LOL!!

·
Registered
580 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
So cute! :)

Does this colour change always happen in white Chi's? Do some ever go much darker?
As far as I know a completely white chi is very rare, and since colors come in later it's almost impossible to know which ones stay white or not. I thought that Luxie was going to be solid cream until I saw that white spot on her forehead! There are so many genetics involved but I think most likely the white puppies end up being cream or with cream on them but I don't think they will ever get as dark as a fawn. And also the sabled ones get a lot lighter when they're adults. Of course i'm not an expert by any means, I just googled my butt off finding an answer to this exact question myself lol!

·
Banned
177 Posts
Longs change a lot.. especially sables!! Smooths do but not as much..

Rule of thumb is blacks stay black
Reds stay red
Chocs stay choc
blue stays blue

they can darken or lighten but the others tend to change about a bit some darken some lighten (even the aboves)

·
Registered
5,614 Posts
She's sooo cute! I love her colours. When my best friend's chi was in that stage she thought he was going to be fully long hair, and then it grew a tiny bit but for the most part he stayed the same as yours, except with floppy ears. Medium hair I guess. He looks like he could fly away at any moment with his fuzzy ears.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts