Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I ordered some beef heart for the pups and picked it up today. I LOVE our local grocery store meat manager. He is so accomidating to our needs. Anyway....when I get there, they ask me how I want it. It was 10 pounds...so I asked for them to trim the fat and grind it like hamburger meat. Im checking out and I have 12 packages of ground beef heart. Approx $1 a pound:) The cashier starts ringing it up and asks....so how do you use this.....like ground beef? I said no....I feed it to my dogs. She said "really?" and then looks at me like I have 2 heads.

So I wonder what she thinks is more strange....me buying it to feed my kids or my dogs :rolleyes:

·
Registered
2,440 Posts
Some people think feeding raw to dogs is extravagant.
They usually make that comment while munching on
pork rinds or junk food.Good food costs good money.
Bet they feed junk to their kids too.

·
Registered
4,652 Posts
LOL...another cashier comment hu?! That's why I love buying stuff online. ;) Though our cashiers around here don't pay much attention to WHAT we buy...they just zip it through the scanner & sling it down to the bagger.

Next time get creative. Like "I mix it with maya & serve it like tuna!". hahaha

·
Registered
2,239 Posts
I can understand why the cashier Made that comment, I am still very new to raw, and I still cant handle the raw meat! Hubby is still stuck with bagging it up for me!! Honey is doing so well on it, not as stinky and her weight is slowly dropping :)
Its a big shock to me this raw feeding, all I have ever known is canned dog food, and kibble bags, until I joined this forum. I didnt understand that there is a better healthier option for Honey.
I just dont like red meat, dont know why but I just dont! I am not a vegetarian lol but we mainly eat chicken in our house, which I have no problem handling!!

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
lol I may have said the same thing...I can't get the hang of raw at all. I def see the GOOD points to it but it still make me sick LOL So don't be too quick to judge! Although if I was the cashier I most likely wouldn't have commented and if I did I would prob kept my crazy look to myself lol. Believe me I have plenty of those when I see the pics LOLOL Hey i can't help it, I'm weak!! lol

·
Registered
7,637 Posts
If a cashier said something like that or turned their nose off I would be happy to put them in their place the raw bashing bugs me!!

I bought lambs hearts the other day my mate was Luke oh yummy you gonna stuff them you should have seen my face I was like errrrr noooooo it's fir the girls hahaha

Jadore raw

·
Banned
6,940 Posts
I've been calling around to some shops trying to find frozen chicks for my crew and you wouldn't believe the response when I tell them what I'm feeding lol. Esp. that they are chihuahuas. But I mean, I don't see whats so weird about it...they feed them to snakes, why's it so weird to feed them to dogs? so yeah, we are going to have to get ours from Hare Today.

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Some people think feeding raw to dogs is extravagant.
They usually make that comment while munching on
pork rinds or junk food.Good food costs good money.
Bet they feed junk to their kids too.
Your right! I think alot of people think it is extravagant. People are brainwashed to think kibble is best.

LOL...another cashier comment hu?! That's why I love buying stuff online. ;) Though our cashiers around here don't pay much attention to WHAT we buy...they just zip it through the scanner & sling it down to the bagger.

Next time get creative. Like "I mix it with maya & serve it like tuna!". hahaha
Ugh!!! Yes ...same store as before...but different cashier. I wish I could just get thru without the comments. Would make my life so much easier. My sister says she gets the same responses there too. Just nosey people I guess.

I like your smart azz comment ;) may have to try that next time:D

I can understand why the cashier Made that comment, I am still very new to raw, and I still cant handle the raw meat! Hubby is still stuck with bagging it up for me!! Honey is doing so well on it, not as stinky and her weight is slowly dropping :)
Its a big shock to me this raw feeding, all I have ever known is canned dog food, and kibble bags, until I joined this forum. I didnt understand that there is a better healthier option for Honey.
I just dont like red meat, dont know why but I just dont! I am not a vegetarian lol but we mainly eat chicken in our house, which I have no problem handling!!
lol I may have said the same thing...I can't get the hang of raw at all. I def see the GOOD points to it but it still make me sick LOL So don't be too quick to judge! Although if I was the cashier I most likely wouldn't have commented and if I did I would prob kept my crazy look to myself lol. Believe me I have plenty of those when I see the pics LOLOL Hey i can't help it, I'm weak!! lol
I can see both your sides to this. Some things I have problems with feeding. Organ meat is tough for me.....although the ground beef heart looks like ground beef so not so bad. But I was looking at the chicken livers last week and just couldnt do it :confused:

·
Registered
2,239 Posts
If a cashier said something like that or turned their nose off I would be happy to put them in their place the raw bashing bugs me!!

I bought lambs hearts the other day my mate was Luke oh yummy you gonna stuff them you should have seen my face I was like errrrr noooooo it's fir the girls hahaha

Jadore raw
Honeys only diet is RAW, but I still cant come to terms with it, I'm not a RAW basher, I just think its gross! I hate raw meat but I know its the best diet for her :) I can totally understand where the cashier is coming from!

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

Jadore raw
LMAO :laughing6:

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
I don't see why anybody would really BASH raw feeding? Maybe there are things about it I don't know but I can't see anybody bashing it.....BUT as for can't handling it that's something different than bashing. I actually have learned from a friend of mine who does this to his dogs (Not Chis though) and this site a lotmore about it than I thought....and the good info on it. I think the pics from you all are great because I've seen some pics I would never do and then I see some pics that are like hey that's not so bad! lol So if I ever DID do it....it would be a huge step for myself but it would only be the things I could handle and hopefully those would be the things the girls would like. I would def be excited about trying it too just to see the changes in them and their excitement for new yummy food lol

·
Registered
2,239 Posts
I can see both your sides to this. Some things I have problems with feeding. Organ meat is tough for me.....although the ground beef heart looks like ground beef so not so bad. But I was looking at the chicken livers last week and just couldnt do it :confused:
I cant handle any of it, Hubby chops it up sorts it into little freezer zip bags and freeze's it for me, I just have to get it out f the freezer and when its thawed open the bag and pop it into Honey's bowl! honestly I know its the best diet for her, but if he didnt prepare it all then I really dont think I could feed it to her, My stomach is just to weak for that!

·
Registered
2,239 Posts
I don't see why anybody would really BASH raw feeding? Maybe there are things about it I don't know but I can't see anybody bashing it.....BUT as for can't handling it that's something different than bashing. I actually have learned from a friend of mine who does this to his dogs (Not Chis though) and this site a lotmore about it than I thought....and the good info on it. I think the pics from you all are great because I've seen some pics I would never do and then I see some pics that are like hey that's not so bad! lol So if I ever DID do it....it would be a huge step for myself but it would only be the things I could handle and hopefully those would be the things the girls would like. I would def be excited about trying it too just to see the changes in them and their excitement for new yummy food lol
Honey gets very excited at meal time now, she wags her tail as soon as I pick her bowl up! Before she was like, yeah what ever its dinner time, she eats extra fast now and eats every last bit!

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
I cant handle any of it, Hubby chops it up sorts it into little freezer zip bags and freeze's it for me, I just have to get it out f the freezer and when its thawed open the bag and pop it into Honey's bowl! honestly I know its the best diet for her, but if he didnt prepare it all then I really dont think I could feed it to her, My stomach is just to weak for that!
That's exactly me! I know my fiance would do it but not right now things are too busy for him. Maybe once we actually move he'll have time! That's a good way to do it though, have him do the dirty work and then have the pups adore us for feeding it to them :D lol

·
Registered
2,239 Posts
That's exactly me! I know my fiance would do it but not right now things are too busy for him. Maybe once we actually move he'll have time! That's a good way to do it though, have him do the dirty work and then have the pups adore us for feeding it to them :D lol
I normally buy enough to last 1 month, he sorts it all out for me, it only takes him around 30 mins once a month! So not very time consuming! I reckon I have the best part of the deal :)

·
Registered
3,090 Posts
That's funny. When I first started I had calve liver, chicken livers, beef heart, beef kidney, chicken gizzards & hearts in my cart at walmart, the cashier was giving me odd looks and asked what I was going to make with all these organs, I said, actually I'm feeding it to my chihuahua. The look she gave me was one of utter disgust. But now I carry around cards with the links to my blog & a few other of my favorite raw sites so if I get weird looks when I have strange stuff in my cart.....I pass them out. I *almost* bought octopus & squid for my girls as there is a local store that carries the, but I just couldn't it weirded me out to much.

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
Honey gets very excited at meal time now, she wags her tail as soon as I pick her bowl up! Before she was like, yeah what ever its dinner time, she eats extra fast now and eats every last bit!
lol aw that's so cute! Kizzie gets SUPER excited everytime it's time to eat but if we went to raw she might just jump off the wall and go nuts!! LOL She's a hyper pup though and gets excited over everything.

Oh wow really? Only 30mins? That's nothing! I thought it would take longer for some reason? My friend always acts like his takes forever but he has HUGE dogs so maybe it's different with Chis? That's really good!

·
Registered
2,239 Posts
That's funny. When I first started I had calve liver, chicken livers, beef heart, beef kidney, chicken gizzards & hearts in my cart at walmart, the cashier was giving me odd looks and asked what I was going to make with all these organs, I said, actually I'm feeding it to my chihuahua. The look she gave me was one of utter disgust. But now I carry around cards with the links to my blog & a few other of my favorite raw sites so if I get weird looks when I have strange stuff in my cart.....I pass them out. I *almost* bought octopus & squid for my girls as there is a local store that carries the, but I just couldn't it weirded me out to much.
You see everyone has their own threshold level when it comes to RAW!
Yours is octopus & squid!! Mine is all raw lol!

·
Registered
2,239 Posts
lol aw that's so cute! Kizzie gets SUPER excited everytime it's time to eat but if we went to raw she might just jump off the wall and go nuts!! LOL She's a hyper pup though and gets excited over everything.

Oh wow really? Only 30mins? That's nothing! I thought it would take longer for some reason? My friend always acts like his takes forever but he has HUGE dogs so maybe it's different with Chis? That's really good!
lol I suppose huge dogs eat heaps more then chis!!

·
Registered
7,637 Posts
People bash because they aren't educated on raw slot of people think commercial foods are the best thing for dogs regardless of the ingredients

It doesn't bother me it's food for my dogs it's no diff to cutting up veg for my daughter it's food part of the food chain

People stare when they don't know the facts Heather what you do is fab I get asked all the time what the girls are fed it gets boring explaining it all

1 - 20 of 37 Posts