Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I just got a new food in the mail today. We were getting low on ZP so I decided to try this. I think it's Only Natural Pet's version of ZP. In appearance, it's very close to ZP. About the same size as a ZP piece but maybe a little thicker. The dogs ate it right up. I got the beef version. What do you think about the ingredients? About the only thing that I see a prob with is the avocado since I've heard it can be a controversial ingredient for dogs.

Seems more than decent to me, it's close to ZP, but costs less.

·
Registered
14,441 Posts
It has more ingredients than ZP which can be a deal breaker for those with allergies or sensitive tummies. But I think the ingredients look good. I would like to see the deletion of the pumpkin, rosemary, avocado, salt, and tocopherols. All can cause allergies in dogs. Other than that, it would certainly be a step up from kibble, but IMO not as good as ZP. I wonder who the manufacturer is?

Ingredients - Beef, Beef Liver, Beef Heart, Beef Kidney, Natural Vegetable Glycerin, Ground Beef Bone, Pumpkin, Inulin (from Chicory), Rosemary, Potassium Chloride, Choline Chloride, Avocado, Betain, Sea Salt, Tocopherols (Vitamin E Supplement), Kelp, Parsley, Pomegranite, Zinc Proteinate, Zinc Sulfate, Iron Sulfate, Iron Proteinate, Copper Sulfate, Copper Proteinate, Sodium Selenite, Manganese Proteinate, Niacin Supplement, Calcium Pantothenate, Manganous Oxide, Vitamin A Supplement, Riboflavin Supplement (Vitamin B2), Vitamin D3 Supplement, Ethylenediamine Dihydriodide (source of iodine), Thiamine Mononitrate (Vitamin B1), Vitamin B12 Supplement, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride (Vitamin B6), Folic Acid

·
Registered
4,172 Posts
I also do not care for the salt.

It actually reminds me more of this food than ZP:
Real Meat Pet Food

Hope did not do so well on the treats from that company. It looked a little more "formed" than ZP and she just cannot manage processed food and treats.

I need to take some time to check out this new one that you have shared. Thanks for the tip.

·
Registered
14,441 Posts
Karen, those ingredient lists are identical! I would say it is Real Meat in a different packaging. Or at least made by the same company.

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I agree. That looks almost exactly the same. I think they just allowed Only Natural Pet to put their name on it.... That weirds me out. Why the secrecy?

·
Registered
14,441 Posts
I sent Natural Pet an email. I'll report back what they say.

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ooh thanks. Def want to know what they say.

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'm starting to wonder about this stuff. It smells so STRONG. I noticed it yesterday when I opened the bag but I think the excitement of trying a new food drowned it out. When I opened the bag today it just hit me in the face. It makes me think of kibble smell. Like they sprayed it with something. Really stout.

·
Registered
311 Posts
I agree. That looks almost exactly the same. I think they just allowed Only Natural Pet to put their name on it.... That weirds me out. Why the secrecy?
A lot of company's do this I know as it relates to household/ car products and food we eat. I have seen many shows on it. Same ingredients, identical recipes in the blending vessel going into different packaging after so many of brand x run, they do brand y. That's just how businesses get their products out there. Motor Oils, soups, shampoos, detergents etc. It's a very common practice.

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
So after a little while on this food, Gunner's allergies went nuts. The little sores he get on his body got worse. Lots of scratching and licking. I took him off and put him back on straight raw for the last couple weeks (vension and beef) and he looks better than ever! As of now, there are NO sores on his body. So I think he's got allergies for sure and limited ingredient foods and RAW will be the way to go for him.
So that takes of that.

BrodysMom, do u ever hear back from the company?

·
Registered
14,441 Posts
Wow, that's interesting that he was sensitive to something in that product. Glad plain old raw cleared him back up. That's the advantage of knowing exactly what you are feeding.

And no, the company never emailed me back. I emailed them twice. BAD customer service for sure!!

·
Premium Member
12,272 Posts
Maybe they know you're on to them Tracy.I looked at some small puppy treats i got Dottie the other day and you know what was in them SUGAR,why put sugar in dog biscuits ? so it's worth looking at treat labels as well

1 - 12 of 12 Posts