Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
3,771 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am beside myself this morning. Our computer crashed and we have lost EVERY picture of our boys! We did not have them properly filed. I hate myself today. :nmad2:

·
Registered
14,441 Posts
oh NO!!! Pam, maybe go to a computer store and they might be able to restore your computer and get the pictures off. They can be gone, but still recovered in lots of cases. So don't give up yet.

·
Premium Member
5,272 Posts
if you know anything about computers and it was your HD that crashed... put the HD in the freezer and then hook back up... I have done this once or twice.... it may give you enough time to get the pics off it..... there are ways to retrieve stuff off your HD if it crashes.... I would take it to a computer store and get the data retrieved....

·
Registered
3,889 Posts
Same happened to me :( my motherboard got fried though I had someone try and move the files to my new laptop but bc old was windows vista and new is windows 7 nome of the files will open on my new laptop :(

·
Administrator
11,989 Posts
I am so sorry to hear this :-( If you cant get them restored then you can get the one's that you have shared here. All you have to do is click on them and save them to a file on your new computer. You can probably do that about anywhere you shared pics online. Do you have a photobucket account you have been using?

·
Banned
6,248 Posts
Pam, I can't offer anything new, but I did want to tell you how sorry I am. That did happen to me. I knew better... we just get comfortable. :) I would definitely urge you to take it to a computer place and see if they can recover some of those photos.

·
Registered
3,126 Posts
Oh no... I can't imagine how you must feel! Do try seeing if a comp place can recover the files though! A few weeks ago my memory chip in my camera somehow got fried; after a huge road trip with my friends! I was devastated needless to say; I couldn't get the camera nor computer to recognize that the chip had anything on it, and I had easily 50+ pix. My roommate who knows more about computers than whats probably healthy downloaded some program that was able to get the "raw"? image files off of the card.... even though the card wasn't useable he did find a way to retrieve every single one of my photos. So don't give up hope!

I have easily 7 years worth of pictures on my other comp.... I think I'm going to have OH back them up onto our second computer....

·
Registered
609 Posts
As others have mentioned, it is quite possible that the pictures can be recovered from the hard drive. What kind of crash was it--was there an error message on the computer?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Same thing happened here and with a program and the right equipment, as long as your PC didn't blue screen, you should be able to recover them. I would recommend an external hard drive to back everything up so you don't lose it all again. Good luck!

·
Administrator
6,452 Posts
Pam, I know how you feal, the same thing happened to me and I was just sick as all my photos of trips from around the world were on there. I took it in and the computer shop was able to retreive them. I hope they can with yours too. Good luck. Keep us posted.

·
Registered
3,771 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Good news! Some have been retrieved! Why some and not all????? I don't understand technology but I am not complaining really. I am thankful for what I DO have. Learned lesson the hard way:(

·
Registered
355 Posts
That's great news - I'm so glad you were able to recover some of your pictures. The way the data is stored on the hard drive, it is written to segments in a manner which is not chronological, and, depending upon which segments are corrupted, you lose the data that is written in the corrupted segments. Imagine writing a book on Post-It notes, and sticking them in random order around your house. Now someone comes and leaves the windows open in several rooms, and it rains. Depending on what Post-It notes are stuck where, and which parts of your house get wet, you will be able to recover some data but not all, and it may not have rhyme or reason (date, type of file, etc.). At least, that is how it was explained to me; but I'm a late-life computer learner and this is probably oversimplified. Any alpha geeks out there to shed more light on this? (I say "geek" with the utmost respect - in our age of technology, the geeks with surely inherit the earth!)

1 - 20 of 24 Posts