Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i want to purchase a male chihuahua but i have two concerns, do they spray and mark their territory a lot? Al?
thanks
feel free to e-mail

·
Registered
1,796 Posts
It depends on whether they are neutered? I had both of mine neutered at 6months and they have never "marked" anything in the house. They do sometimes lift their leg, but only outside.

sandra

·
Registered
4,920 Posts
I have a male and waited too long too neuter him so he was starting to mark outside. Never did it inside. Even though he was 10 months when he got neutered he stopped marking. He does lift his leg to pee :lol:

·
Registered
107 Posts
A friend of mine has a Chi/min-pin mix. She didn't neuter him early enough (also probably lacks consistent training follow-thru to be honest). Anyway, when we got Reba, she was asking why we would want a little dog that peed all over the house like hers. (Reba always uses her potty pads and is very good at her almost 3 months of age.) Gotta get to them before that animal instinct takes over too much.

·
Registered
9,210 Posts
I have a boy and he will mark......like when I got my new puppy--but all is ok now....He was neutered right after I got him at 11 mos. Not every dog is determined by another. Each dog is different and as suggested to neuter early is your best bet. Boys are more loyal and loving I think :wink:
I would get another boy in a minute :D

·
Registered
4,512 Posts
I have a male (Gadget) He is 11 weeks today. I hardly ever have a problem with him peeing in the wrong place. except when I miss him telling me he has to go (mostly in the bedroom) He has a pin in the bedroom so I have to put him in it when he is on the bed. In the livingroom he can just walk right over tot he pad and go.. He hasn't started marking or lifting his leg yet. I am not going to get him neutered.

Good luck with your decision :)

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
Tucker was neutered at about 5 months of age. He has never marked his territory---he doesn't lift his leg to pee either. I was having trouble with training Tucker to use potty pads, so I gave up and trained him to go outside instead. He trained very quickly (in only a few days).

Before we adopted Tucker we'd only had female pets, but I wouldn't trade my boy for the world. :)

·
Registered
6,393 Posts
We had a boy chi Toby and he was never neutered and never marked either, he was 3 days off 16yrs old when he died.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts