Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all! I have a 1 year old chi named Fiona. I've had her since she was born. She's a little ball of love and the light of my life.

Here's my dilemma. In about 2 weeks, I'm going on a 8 day vacation to North Carolina. I live in florida, so it's about a 12 hour drive. My bf and I do intend to drive and we are staying at a house in the mountains owned by his parents. I plan to take fiona with me because she's very spoiled/sensitive and I couldn't bare the thought of leaving her with anyone, she's never been apart from me. The thing is, she seems to get overwhelmed easily and i'm not sure if the drive + staying in a new place will be too stressful for her? My mom lives about 45 min away and when I take her for that drive, she seems to be so worn out afterwards. The sun shining in the car makes her eyes water and although she likes going out, she just seems SO FRAGILE. She's fullgrown, but only 3 pounds. She gets low blood sugar if she doesn't eat consistently. I'm just worried that this trip will be too much for her. Is there anyone who's had experience with this that might be able to help me? Oh, also she uses potty pads and doesn't get walked. we will be taking a truck with no backseat and she will just be inbetween us in one of her beds and I planned on putting a peepad on the floor but also obviously stopping periodically incase she won't use that in the car. Ahhh i'm just feeling anxious about the whole thing and could use some advice.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Hey :)

I'm traveling with my baby on an airplane for the first time. This is my http://www.chihuahua-people.com/chihuahua-questions/55352-airplane-travel-advice.html thread and flippedstar gave me some great advice. My baby is also 3 pounds, so she suggested i bring nutrical with me. You should probably look into it too for your journey.

And you should try to get her use to car slowly, since she's easily overwhelmed, Maybe bring her into the car just to sniff around for a bit. In a few days after she smells feels comfy in the car you can drive slightly so she can get use to the sounds :)

This airplane journey made me take my chi out in the car and stuff so she can get use to strange sounds/noises/smells slowly so she wont be in shock for the whole airplane ride. And shes doing lovely and likes looking out the window too lol

Goodluck :)

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
We travel with ours all the time. We went from OKC to Savannah, GA in our motor home. Bizkit (8 y.o.) does NOT like it. He just lays in his bed the entire time (which is in the floor between our seats). He doesn't really eat or drink that first day (or he does it when I'm not looking). Initially he does stress breathing but that stops before too long. I guess I didn't socialize him properly, he would just much rather be at home than anywhere else.
The girls (15 and 10 months) are a lot better with it than Bizkit is--although they think the only place they can sit is on my lap!
We just take all their usual stuff: beds, blankets, toys, food, bottled water, leashes, harnesses, meds., etc. and they're fine.
In May we took an RV trip to KY with all three of them and they were fine. No one gets motion sickness thankfully.
I bet your baby will do well. Good luck!

·
Registered
109 Posts
It sounds like travel time for chis. I'm also going on a trip. We will be gone for approx. 10 days. We are traveling by car, taking Shanghai, who is a 5 yr. old peke, and Chico, the new baby chi, who is 3 1/2 months old. It will be a memorable trip. Shanghai hates the car. He's been on long trips before, and just sulks on the back seat the whole trip, which takes us 18 hours of drive time. We stop frequently for potty breaks and water drinks. Shanghai doesn't eat the whole trip, not even his treats. I'm hoping Chico fares better. Their backpack is loaded with food, treats, chews, pads and necessary stuff. It's more work that traveling with children.

·
Registered
2,755 Posts
I would take her, just have plenty of stops say at a drive in or garge where you can let her out, offer water and if you can have her on your knee rather than on the floor.

Being on your knee will give her some comfort and she won't feel the motion of the car so much. Do you have air conditioning as this will help with travelling.

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
We drove from Florida to Michigan this summer with our then 6mos old chi Addy. It took us 2 days of driving to do it. I have a doggy console seat and attached it to the console in our truck between hubby and I...then strapped her in using a harness. She wouldnt eat while on the road. Only thing I could get her to eat was dorritos:rolleyes: We stopped every few hours at rest areas and let her walk around on a leash. She did really well. I brought along water from home (great suggestion from someone on here) and kept it chilled in a cooler. I offered it to her in her bowl from time to time and she did drink it :) When we stopped to eat...We chose restaurants that had outdoor seating and Addy stayed in a doggy bag.

Since it is getting colder up North....be sure to bring warm clothes for her. I unfortunately did not....thinking we would experience warm July Michigan weather...HA....poor Addy got very chilled on more than one occasion.

Here she is in her car seat

·
Registered
109 Posts
2cheese, thanks for reminding me of the water. I almost forgot to put that on my packing list. I know my older dog is very particular about water. Only drinks Brevard cnty water or bottled water. LOL

·
Registered
109 Posts
Addy looks quite comfortable in her bag. I should have thought ahead and made one for
Chico. That's a project for me when we get back home. I made him a coat, PJs, and bought a sweater and sweatshit to take along. It should be an interesting trip.

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
Addy looks quite comfortable in her bag. I should have thought ahead and made one for
Chico. That's a project for me when we get back home. I made him a coat, PJs, and bought a sweater and sweatshit to take along. It should be an interesting trip.
Im sure they will both do well. Addy slept for most of the trip (both days). Ours was very interesting as well. A lady at one of our stops tried to pet Addy...Addy tried to bite her. I learned then that dogs are a very good judge of character as 10 min later...this womans companion asked hubby for gas money.

Road trips are so much fun :rolleyes:

·
Registered
34 Posts
I have only had my little guy just over a month. He is 5 months old and was a rescue with bad socialization. Because I got him in the summer, we had a lot of driving to do with him. Luckily he was used to a crate when I got him. I am a huge advocate of crating dogs for thier comfort and safety. Because he was already used to his crate, the car was just not a big deal for him. He was in his own little "house" with his favorite toy, favorite blanket and a chew toy. Every so often he would squeak his toy, but other than that, he was quite content. Matter of fact, when we stopped for pee breaks, he would need coaxing out because he was so content in there. Also I felt as though that was the safest spot for him. We have air bags and if hes on my lap when we get in an accident, that air bag could very well kill him or at least cause some serious damage. In the crate, he is much safer in the event of an accident. Just my 2 cents on road trips and dogs :)

·
Registered
109 Posts
I have a small canvas portable crate that I bought at Walmart.com. It was very reasonable. I take him back and forth to vet to get him used to it. The first day I brought it home, he went inside and went to sleep. That is what he is going to travel in when we go on our trip. I'll put his blanket and some toys. That should keep him happy.

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
I'm sure it will all be ok. Definitely take her, I'm the same way I don't leave my Chihuahuas behind unless they are with my parents. That's final. My fiance and I are actually going to visit his mom in Wisconsin soon we're in Missouri. So it's a bit of a drive. My girls are coming with us but they LOVE car rides and chill out so I'm not really concerned. Definitely take water, food, treats, toys, regular stops and riding in your lap would be good when your little baby wants to. I think it will turn out ok. My biggest fear when going on road trips like this is just the thought of losing them.I know it sounds silly and I've never lost a dog before but I just get nervous being so far from home with the dogs. lol Anyways good luck and I'm sure it will be fine! Have fun! Sounds like a good time!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts