Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone! I'm so glad I found this site as I am such a chihuahua lover. Both my dogs are of chihuahua breed and I couldn't imagine my life without them.

I recently had brought a new puppy home, she is a long hair chi and she's absolutely adorable. She is about 10 weeks now. She only weighs 1lb. I had taken her to the vet for her first set of shots and de-worming. My concern is that its now day 4 and she's not acting like herself at all! I had called the vet and told them what the case was but the Dr. just said it could be a side effect and she should get better soon.

She seems to back her behind back alot and then just lay down and scratch her needle area. She whines and whimpers, I could tell she is not comfortable at all and is miserable. Should I do anything else at this point? has anyone's Chi done this? Thanks Guys! hoping to learn lots on here.

·
Premium Member
12,272 Posts
Hello and welcome from uk,my vet swears by mild warm salt water just a few dabs on the effective area,maybe he used a needle that was too big for a tiny chi ?

·
Registered
6,172 Posts
Maybe some baby benedryl would help. Make sure you get the infant formula, and give according to weight. I think she would only get a very little bit---people here on the board have the right amount. I would check with the vet?? Sue

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
He may have gotten the needle in her muscle and its just a little sore. The benadryl is a good idea to help with any allergic reactions she may be experiencing. Alsi the warm salt water to keep the area lean of infection.

·
Registered
6,172 Posts
How is your puppy today? We'd all love hearing that she is all better. For the next 'shots' maybe you can give her a dose of benedryl about 30 minutes before the shot? Just as a precaution. Won't hurt, might help. Good luck with her. Sue

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
How is your puppy today? We'd all love hearing that she is all better. For the next 'shots' maybe you can give her a dose of benedryl about 30 minutes before the shot? Just as a precaution. Won't hurt, might help. Good luck with her. Sue
Hi Susan, Thanks for asking. We think she's a bit better but still jerking every now and then. I am really concerned the Vet struck a muscle nerve or something :( but she's stop crying and whimpering.

Thanks so much everyone for your input, it surely has put some ease on us. we appreciate it!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts