Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I will admit before I adopted Rascal I didn't look into all the aspects of owning such a small breed even mixed dog. Now I am almost out of he horrible food the previous owner was feeding and would like something that is much better for him. He is 5lbs and typically very active as a puppy would be. My questions are these
1.IF I was to do something like ZP or Stella & Chewys how long does a 2.2 bag of ZP or the 16oz of Stella and Chewys typically last
2. Are either of those recomnded for puppies more so then the other?
3. Any recomdations for kibble based food for puppies since most I see mentioned are for adults?
4. I am also looking at doing raw diet for him since our selection here is os limited so could I do somethig like ZP and raw diet or do I need to stick one only?

·
Registered
2,182 Posts
I waited until Miya was 6 mos before I started feeding Fromm's "all life stages" food. I wanted to keep her on a puppy formula until then. just a personal choice. She's recently started eating a mix of Fromm's and ZP.

Up until this point, I had her on Organix Puppy, which is what the breeder was feeding her. It's a pretty decent brand, I was happy with it, but wanted to step it up a notch.
I tried wellness puppy, but the kibble was too big and I heard a few reviews about the dog's coat fading. I also tried Innova Puppy, which was not grain free. Miya had allergies to it. So far, I'm thrilled with the Fromm's and she love love love love loves ZP. There are a lot of great foods out there. What works for one may not work for another :)

·
Registered
2,020 Posts
I buy the three pound bags of Stella and Chewys for my three. One bag lasts us one week, feeding three adult dogs that are 5.25, 5.5 and 4.25 lbs so you should be able to get a good amount of mileage out of the 3 lb bag feeding one puppy. I do the frozen patties, they are half the price of the freeze dried (you need to find a store that carries it or will order it for you, any natural pet food store in my area is happy to order it just for us at no extra cost). I've just ordered the 2.2 bag of Ziwi to add to their diet as I've been trying unsuccessfully to get a few extra ounces on Miley. Not sure how long it will last us, someone will chime in who feeds it already.

Add: Leo was on Stella and Chewys as a puppy and did very well, I believe Zp and S&C are both fine for all life stages

·
Banned
37 Posts
what a lot of people dont realize is that when you have a HIGH quality kibble there is no need to feed "puppy" food. which is why most high quality kibble says "all life stages" i have been in the pet industry for over 5 years working for Petco, incredible pets, and now PetSmart so i know a lot about different brands of food. and which ones spike their prices constantly. like Science Diet for instance is not a great food. they put corn in it and 2-3 years back they lowered the weight of their bags but upped the price. vets only recommend Science Diet because they proffit off of the kibble sales.

·
Registered
4,652 Posts
Yes, you don't need a "puppy food". Stella & Chewy's & ZiwiPeak you can feed to any aged dog. In fact any time I new pup comes here they're immediately switched to ZiwiPeak or whatever I happen to feed & we've had zero tummy issues.

One 2.2lb bag of ZiwiPeak should last 4-6 weeks depending on what type of metabolism your dog has. In turn if you purchase a bag of small frozen patties of Stella & Chewy's...you figure you'll be feeding 2 patties a day & depending on the size bag you get...that will make it easier to figure out.

Good luck!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts