Chihuahua People Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am so confused :confused: I have been looking at what to feed my dogs after reading that Bakers and the like are totally pap. EEEK. Really like the idea of the raw diet cos its natural and all the dogs that are on it all look fab! But I'm so confused, I'm reading reams and reams of stuff and getting more and more baffled. TBH I think it's because I have always, and my parents before fed regular food, be it tinned or dryed. This is such a new concept for me to get my head around, either that or I'm just really dense :rolleyes:
So here are my questions, they are many lol

1, Can all my dogs eat the raw diet, Gravy 8 year old staff x, Chips 1.5 year old chihuahua and Pie my 9 week old Chihuahua? Thy are all eating Bakers at the mo Pie has the puppy soaked abit, chips eats that and adult bakers that is left down all day and Gravy eats the bakers adult too.

2, Can you feed ANY meat, like the cheap cuts and stuff?

3, Chicken looks like the meat to start off with so do you just hack the chicken carcass up, give a leg to pie and chips, well you get my drift.

4, Do you leave the bones in the chicken and stuff? are they ok because they are raw?

5, do you get the food daily or freeze and thaw?

6, How do you start!

am I just WAY over thinking this? sorry :rolleyes:

·
Registered
14,441 Posts
1, Can all my dogs eat the raw diet, Gravy 8 year old staff x, Chips 1.5 year old chihuahua and Pie my 9 week old Chihuahua? .

Yep. All your dogs can eat a raw diet.

2, Can you feed ANY meat, like the cheap cuts and stuff?

Absolutely!

3, Chicken looks like the meat to start off with so do you just hack the chicken carcass up, give a leg to pie and chips, well you get my drift.

Yes!

4, Do you leave the bones in the chicken and stuff? are they ok because they are raw?

Absolutely OK to feed bone-in chicken. Raw bones are perfectly safe.

5, do you get the food daily or freeze and thaw?

I usually take out Brody's food a couple days in advance, depending on what I have in the freezer. Whatever works for you.

6, How do you start!

Start reading! There's lots of good info out there. Do your research and then jump right in! Here's a thread that has lots of info on getting started and be sure and go through all the links.

http://www.chihuahua-people.com/raw-food/49576-you-considering-raw-diet.html

Another good link that has lots of info by a friend of mine who has done a great job on a website outlining what a prey model diet is and how to start:

PMR Page 1 - Chance's Little Website

Forgot to say also have 5 kids ages 6 and up, is it ok for the dogs to be munching raw meat, I'm not a clean freak but ya know mam's worry lol!!
Take the usual precautions you would when preparing meat for your family. Feed in a crate or on a towel. Don't let the dogs drag their meals all over the house. Remember that dogs walk around outside and what we bring into our houses on our shoes is much worse than anything you will find in fresh foods. Dogs lick their butts, some eat poop etc. If your family hasn't gotten sick while they are eating kibble - it's unlikely they will get sick if your dogs are eating raw.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks so much! deffo going to go for it must be better for them than the crap i've been giving them (I thought it was good stuff!) eeee so pleased i found this site :) xx your dog is lovely by the way, it was the pic of his teeth that made me look so double thanks xx

·
Registered
14,441 Posts
thanks so much! deffo going to go for it must be better for them than the crap i've been giving them (I thought it was good stuff!) eeee so pleased i found this site :) xx your dog is lovely by the way, it was the pic of his teeth that made me look so double thanks xx
Thank you and you're welcome!

Most of us were in your shoes at one point, including me. I had tried just about every puppy food out there, starting with the really bad foods because I didn't know any better. As I learned, I branched out into better foods, eventually trying a pre-made raw. That was the catalyst to learning more about preparing my own diet for Brody from fresh raw foods. He's been raw fed for over 3 years now and doing great. I wish I would have known about this diet years ago as our other dogs could have benefited and I have no doubt, would have lived longer and healthier lives.

If you do decide to venture into a raw diet you can expect to see some great benefits:

Strong healthy white teeth
No doggy odor
Firm muscled body condition with no flab
An active, but not hyper, temperament
Firm small stools that disintegrate in the yard
Gleaming coat with reduced to no shedding

Just as feeding kids a steady diet of junk food is unhealthy - so is the mass marketed kibble doing long term damage to our dogs. Canine obesity, diabetes, cancer, peridontal disease - it's all been on the upswing since the dog food industry entered the market 60 years ago. We can do better. We have been brainwashed by the dog food companies and their marketing strategies to think that we can't balance or create a healthy diet. What hogwash. If you can feed yourself and your family a healthy diet - you can certainly feed your dog. :)

It does take some effort, but it is worth it.

·
Read Only
1,949 Posts
Good luck with your switch to raw!

If you aren't ready to do a full raw diet, you could try a pre-made raw to start. This is what I did. I started off on ZiwiPeak (a freeze-dried food, it looks like squares of jerky) and then switched to raw. Right now I am feeding 1/2 ZiwiPeak and 1/2 raw, as I couldn't find the meat variety/organs I needed.

It is definitely the best thing I ever did for my dogs. I have noticed a huge difference since switching from kibble. Way less poop, no smell, a soft shiny coat, and sparkling clean teeth!

·
Registered
14,441 Posts
1 - 8 of 8 Posts