Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,050 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Kerri passed her CGC test today! I am so excited!!! Mu husband handled her for it and I wasn't there but I hear she did great! I was worried about supervised separation but I guess she didn't whine at all. In September we are going to take the therapy dog test so we can start doing that!

The best part about getting her CGC is we already (6 hours later) have had opportunity to tell people that yes- chihuahuas are trainable and CAN pass a CGC. I just love it when Kerri can be a good ambassador for her breed.

·
Banned
10,704 Posts
Brilliant! Good girl Kerri! Congrats! :eek:ccasion7:

·
Registered
6,172 Posts
The therapy part is easy. Wheelchairs, canes, a 'patient' that may make loud silly, scary noises. They can startle, but not act aggressively. You can look up more about the test by going to the Therapy Dog tests.

·
Registered
2,050 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks guys! I am so proud of Kerri and my hubbie- they both did really great. He was so worried he would fail with her and it would be his fault. He really handles the dogs as much as I do- we still aren't even sure who is going to handle her at agility trials so it's not like he lacks practice.

We actually have been through the therapy dog test (at least I have- not Kerri). It varies depending on what organization you go through but I am not even a little worried about that one. Like you said it is really just about not being scared of medical equipment and they also test a "leave it" so they won't eat pills off the floor. We really want to volunteer with kids at the library and in school doing dog bite prevention and reading programs.

·
Registered
5,776 Posts
Congrats to Kerri, and you and hubby!

I love to see good Chi breed ambassadors. After my move and settling into law school, Toby and I are going to start working on the CGC test. He knows most of it, but we have to work on some parts, especially his greeting of other dogs; right now he gets way too overexcited.

Did you train her yourself or did you go to a class with a trainer? I don't have a ton of experience training dogs, but I am not a novice either. Do you think I could do it on my own?

·
Registered
2,050 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Congrats to Kerri, and you and hubby!

I love to see good Chi breed ambassadors. After my move and settling into law school, Toby and I are going to start working on the CGC test. He knows most of it, but we have to work on some parts, especially his greeting of other dogs; right now he gets way too overexcited.

Did you train her yourself or did you go to a class with a trainer? I don't have a ton of experience training dogs, but I am not a novice either. Do you think I could do it on my own?
I trained my first dog on my own- using a book about how to do it. It really is not rocket science and if you have a dog who is reasonably cooperative it is not too hard. Now I guess I mostly trained Kerri on my own because we didn't go to classes specifically for it per se- but both my dogs go to class every week for either agility or rally-o. And Kerrigan started her life with puppy class once a week and then basic obedience classes. Then we go up to the training place a lot on our own to practice on the agility ring- so we have constant access to trainers and such. Dog class is my primary recreational activity :p But my first dog I was not nearly as experienced as I am now and I did it on my own.

·
Registered
5,776 Posts
Okay cool. I am going to give it a go alone then! If I end up struggling, there are quite a few decent trainers in my new area. Thanks!

·
Registered
5,186 Posts
Congratulations, Kerry!!! Way to go!! Lulu and Gidget say paws up to you! :D

·
Registered
2,050 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Okay cool. I am going to give it a go alone then! If I end up struggling, there are quite a few decent trainers in my new area. Thanks!
I just pulled out the book I used- it is The Idiots Guide to Positive Dog Training- :p It has 10 step by step chapters for how to teach it, but you probably could just look up the 10 test items and go from there. Good luck!

And everyone else- thanks! I am so proud of Kerri and my hubby!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts