Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As the title reads I am very seriously considering a second chi. I am lucky enough to work from home for 99% of the time but have 2 days of work outside the home a month now for the forseeable future. The idea of Pixel being alone for this time isnt something I like.

So I have been thinking of a new chi friend for her.

I wondered if you could give me some advice as to what to expect from those who have more than 1. Pixel and I are very very bonded - will that stop? Will she want to sit on my lap less?

How will she feel at the arrival of another - will she see another chi as a rival?

Any and all advice welcome please!

Lisa
x

·
Banned
6,940 Posts
Your 1st will always be bonded to you in a special way I think, at least that is how it is for me, but no, lol, when you add the 2nd, you just have two that want to be with you all the time! Its nice though because they will play and tire each other out, then come to you for snuggles. Mine all play w/ me individually still, but also w/ each other.

Mine never viewed #2 as a rival, more of a play thing lol. Really it was a smooth transition. My 1st was a girl and 2nd a boy.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well that was going to be my next question - a girl or a boy. I really want a girl, and worry about marking with a boy. Is gender important to relationships?

·
Banned
6,940 Posts
As long as you neuter a boy by 6 months you shouldn't have any problems w/ marking.

I find my girls do not get along too well, but they are always playing in boy/girl pairs and seem to get along well that way. IMO girl/boy is a better combo than girl/girl but a lot of people have girl/girl and they do just fine.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Is that right about the marking? It's the only thing stopping me getting a boy, I have turned down a number of very nice boys because of my worries. I would neuter any dog coming in.

I also wanted to ask about people hollidaying. I can find loads of places (self catering) in the UK that allow 2 dogs but not 3, now loads of people have said they wont even notice and it wont be a problem, i'm a rule follower though and worry that we'd get chucked out. We love holidays where we can take our dogs and go walking.

Oh I forgot to mention we already have a collie as well as our 1 chi.

·
Banned
6,940 Posts
Yeah, I have a neutered male, he was done around 5 months, he does not mark and is fully potty trained (was easier than the girl tbh!). I have an intact male and he does mark, does my head in. LOL...but he's 16 months old, and has marked profusely since around 8 months old. Anyway, as long as you neuter, he won't mark.

I have found places that only allow "2 dogs" will allow 2 or 3 chi's...some you just have to call and ask ahead of time. Other options include having a friend watch one of the dogs or boarding one of them.

·
Read Only
1,949 Posts
I had my boy first, then I got Penny about 4 months later. They sleep together, share toys, and play all day. I don't have any problems with Lion marking.. He was neutered right before he was 6 months. He marks a bit outside but never has tried in the house. I think boy/girl would be the best way to go.

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
Well that was going to be my next question - a girl or a boy. I really want a girl, and worry about marking with a boy. Is gender important to relationships?
Nope, my six girls get along fine...:)

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Okay well I did it - I went back to one of the boys I had discounted previously and brought him home. He's very cute but so scared bless him. Here we go again!

·
Registered
383 Posts
I was worried about all those thing to when I was considering a second.
The losses were minimal, when I go out it's harder to take two with me and watch them, it's harder to carry two in a purse carrier.
The pros are Jadzia (the oldest) is happier and more confident, she fell in love with Kira the minute she saw her, they are best of friends. I have two that want to cuddle with me, play with me, are so cute to watch together, I get to dress them alike :) The pros out weigh the cons by far.

As far as the gender thing goes, no problems here with two girls.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I wish there were a like button on here for all the helpful comments I have had.

Good to hear that holidays in the UK aren't over. There are places I know its just finding them! Maybe we could have a thread on it somewhere?

·
Registered
290 Posts
Do you find 2 Chi's are 'noisy' when playing together? Id be afraid of getting another Chi and them annoying my neighbour when im not there. Pixie tends to make a lot of noise just playing with her ball lol :confused:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts