Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Banned
248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I used to feed my Labs raw and they did very well on it. But I started to tapper off and just feed a high quality kibble when I had a job where I wasent home to supervise feeding ect.

Now I work from home and would like to put Lacey (and my future Chi) on Raw. I know I have to keep her on chicken for the first month. I just need a bit of a refresher.

I hear that cornish hens are best bone in to feed small dogs. About how much/what parts of a cornish hen would I feed to a 7 lb Chi?

Also I hear alot of talk on here about mince. Are we just talking like ground beef/pork/turkey/chicken? Or is it a mince of meat and bone and organ together?

·
Registered
14,441 Posts
All part of a cornish hen are edible. You can either let her work on it as a whole one, like Mary does with her Benny, or you can whack it up into about 8 chunks of meat/bone and portion it out that way, depending on her weight.

The work mince is mostly a UK thing. It's like hamburger. Some of it comes with bone, some just meat. Like the pre-mades we have here (Natures Variety, Stella and Chewy's, Primal, Bravo, etc.)

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
I think raw is great. Both my chis and my sharpei are on it. My chis are 6 and 4 pounds and they get drumsticks, wing, and neck of chicken and turkey, and deer ribs, and other various meayts. I try to give a large variety. I feed chicken, turkey, pork, beef, rabbit, venison, and elk. I've fed mutton once only because it so expensive here. Cornish hens are pretty expensive here but I have bought them a few times. Start with chicken and just watch her stools. Some dogs only need a couple weeks on chicken, some need longer. Then try another protein. I really don't feed ground meat other than some elk I got. I will feed it if its free or very low priced but I prefer to get larger cuts of meat. I do make raw"meat balls" with ground and hide organ in it so Audrey will eat it. She hates liver otherwise.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts