Chihuahua People Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have become very interested in the idea of a raw diet for my little guy. I read the sticky thread up top but am still un-sure of how to start? Where do I find organ meats? Also when i brought this up to my mom she freaked out saying I was going to "kill" him if i gave him chicken bones because we will choke...does this happen? I want to do what is best for my little Odin! Oh does age matter at all when you start RAW feeding? Are there meats to avoid? Ughh!!
I feel like I just need some guidance...

· Registered
14,454 Posts
Keep researching. Keep learning. When you feel confident, you can jump in. Start with cornish hens as the bones are easy and soft. Always feed bones wrapped in meat, not bare bones. Don't hover, but do keep an eye out. There is a learning curve with raw. You will become a student of your dog over time. Try to keep the diet mostly meat, a little bone, a smidge of organ. This is balance over time. You will do chicken ONLY for the first few weeks. Once he's doing well on that, you can add in other proteins, one bite at a time. Organs are last, so about a month out.

Don't be intimidated. It's really pretty simple. 80% meat, 10% bone, 5% liver and 5% other organ. If you can feed yourself and your family, you can certainly feed your dog.

I like this website a friend of mine put together for prey model raw. Give it a look.

http://puppybutt.weebly.com/uploads/7/6/9/2/7692088/beginners_guide_to_prey_model_raw.pdf

Join the raw feeders list on yahoo. (Link in the sticky). Read through the archives. Or join them on facebook. Every question has been asked and answered there.

You can find organ meats in some grocery stores. Our walmart here carries beef, pork, and chicken livers. I get kidneys at as asian market. Ethnic markets are wonderful for varieties of organs. There are also raw suppliers that ship. Check out hare-today.com for an example of what kinds of meats and organs are available.

As for choking... dogs can choke on water. They can choke on kibble. If you are worried about choking, feed pieces as big as the dogs head. That way they have to gnaw off bites. Less chance of inhaling a piece that way. Benny here has a mom who feeds him huge pieces! His videos are a perfect example of how to feed a gulper. Look them up!

Does age matter? Well sure. The sooner you start, the better. Some litters are weaned onto raw and never have a bite of kibble. Some people learn about raw feeding late in the game and switch their elderly dogs over and they do fine. Raw is right for every age.

Meats to avoid.... I don't feed carnivores or as one raw feeder said ... don't feed it if it has pointy teeth. ;) I also don't feed raccoons or possums. Some people won't feed wild boar as it can carry a parasite (NOT found in farmed grocery store pork). Watch for pacific northwest salmon and trout and don't feed them raw. (Salmon oil is fine though.)

Keep learning and researching and asking questions. We will help you. :)

· Registered
3,126 Posts
I felt the same way when I started raw over a year ago! It's much easier than it seems at first... one day at a time really. A lotta meat, a little bone and organ... we balance ours over one week's time. So basically they just get primarily meat meals twice a day; and a few nights a week they get organ or bone. That's it! Cornish hens are cheap here and that's what we have our kitten started on too. The earlier the better! =D
Oh; and its COOKED chicken bones that pose the real hazard; as they can splinter. But raw bones are natural for a dog to chew through. =)

· Registered
3,126 Posts
I felt the same way when I started raw over a year ago! It's much easier than it seems at first... one day at a time really. A lotta meat, a little bone and organ... we balance ours over one week's time. So basically they just get primarily meat meals twice a day; and a few nights a week they get organ or bone. That's it! Cornish hens are cheap here and that's what we have our kitten started on too. The earlier the better! =D
Oh; and its COOKED chicken bones that pose the real hazard; as they can splinter. But raw bones are natural for a dog to chew through. =)

· Registered
2,480 Posts
It is the best thing you can ever, ever do for your best friend/s.

Organs are easy, the butcher or supermarkets sell liver and kidney, they're really the only 2 you need to get, even one of them will suffice for the 5% component.

If it ever gets too much effort, or your mum won't let you feed it, then I would suggest you at least feed a dehydrated meat only diet such as Ziwipeak, K9 Natural etc. It's the next best thing to raw, because it is actually the same :) I give mine a mix of those.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.