Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4,436 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I never wanted to get Midgie spayed but also never planned on breeding her because of the loss of her mother from breeding. I always heard they can live longer if they're spayed & reading many of the post on here has made me feel like this is something I really need to consider given Midgies background with all the allergy problems. I'm scared to death as I'm not a believer in surgery for any one unless it is absolutely necessary. The talk of Pyometra has convinced me to start looking into it. She's 5 & she should be back to her normal self by next spring from all the allergy shots she's having to take. I really liked what I heard about partial laser spaying & hope that my vet can do that (but something tells me that they're not that far advanced). I hope I'm wrong.
What do you think? I know most believe in spaying, so my question is mostly about her age.

·
Registered
7,637 Posts
Hannah on here was recently spayed at age 9 she is fine she also had mammary tumours. The evidence is out there as to why you should do it she's not a senior dog and you can have blood work done before she's done I don't see a reason to wait unless your vet thinks otherwise

·
Registered
3,090 Posts
5 years old really isn't that old especially for a chihuahua. It will probably take her a little bit longer to recover from the anesthesia but she should be just fine. I am doing a partial spay on Ziva.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts