Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am considering buying a second hand sewing machine (or new one if I can get one cheap enough) but I wanted to ask some questions. How difficult is it to teach yourself? I am posting a picture of the type of garment i would want to make for Callisto (its backwards because the reflectors on the front made it difficult to photograph) It seems fairly simple but I'm wondering (this may be a stupid question) but how do you stop the seams from showing? I would think you would sew it, leave one end open then turn it inside out but how do you close up that end without seeing it? I would also like to make bandanas (which seem much simpler) and learn to hem my own jeans (I'm short and paying the seamstress is breaking me!) How difficult is it to teach yourself that? I've looked for sewing classes in my area but havent found any and no one I know can teach me. So I was hoping to get your input before I put down too much money. Also, if I do buy a machine are there any features that I should look for, or problems I should look out for?

·
Registered
4,512 Posts
Zabet, I know very little about sewing.. infact everytime I want to sew something I haven't sewn before I have to sit and figure it out... The easiest part is the patterns.. the hardest part is figuring out how to thread the needle... hehehehe anyway it was for me.. but as long as you have a bookon the sewing machine it will be fine..

When I bought my machine I bought it new and it came with free sewing classes...

so did our serger(still learning that one) but I wasn't able to attend those classes.

I did learn a little about the sewing machine but I still have a lot to learn

the more you sew the more you will learn

·
Registered
2,415 Posts
Hi - if you are considering a sewing machine, look for one that will do the basics, unless you plan on getting into sewing in a big way. You can get all sorts of extras on a sewing machine, but for someone just learning, you really don't need all that. I would recommend you go with a new, rather than used machine. I see them at Walmart that sell for around $125 - $150 that will do everything you will need. It should come with an instruction book that will guide you in threading, setting tension, stitch length, etc.

If you can find a basic pattern in a pattern book, the pattern will have step by step instructions from cutting out the pattern pieces to the finished item. Start out with something simple, and use inexpensive fabric. That way if you mess it up, you don't have a lot of money invested. If the fabric you choose is 100% to 50% cotton, you should prewash & press the fabric before cutting out your pieces because of possible shrinkage.

It's best if you have someone to help you in the beginning, but if you can't find anyone, you can teach yourself. Just read and follow instructions, and be ready for lots of trial and error. :lol:

·
Registered
1,876 Posts
When I decided to learn to sew I was on my own too. I lived close tomy Mom but she coudln't sew at all so that didn't do any good. I bought a new machine with a book and learned how to operate the machine playing with cheap fabric. Then I bought a simple pattern and made something following the pattern directions carefully. It was easy and I've sewed off and on ever since.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I would recommend getting a second hand machine from someone you know took care of it, or spending the extra bucks to get a good basic one. You will be disappointed as a lot of Company's basic lines are not excellent quality even though the more high tech ones with the bells and whistles are, If you get me. Janome and Viking Husqvarna make excellent basic sewing machines, but because they are excellent they cost a little more.

I would much rather have a very basic viking or janome than a singer with decorative stitches, sorry to the singer fans, just don't get along with them! WHat I am saying is Singer and Brother, for example, make excellent machines, but their basic sewing machines aren't up to par.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts