Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,089 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
This thread is spawned by the recent thread "leashes are important". I totally agree with this. I am having a slight problem though. I recently adopted a three year old long haired little girl. I am lucky that she came to me very well socialized. We believe she might have been previously shown as she has many of the show behaviors like her trot and stance (and is a purebred who is champion sired). For such a delightful dog (doesn't bark, doesn't beg, doesn't nip, ignores other dogs, loves to go places, rides in her bike basket), the one strange thing is she does not consistently like to be on a leash. She will follow me closely at my side when we walk and adjust to my speed without a leash. Sometimes when I take her outside, if leashed, she will not move. She will just sit there. If I remove the leash we are off for a delightful walk. If we are out in a strange place (new environment), like a picnic at a new house, she does fine on the leash. I am not sure how to remedy consistent leash walking since she is an adult whom I have had a month. I am not worried she will run off because she always stays close, but there is always the possibility that someone else's dog will get to her.

PS- I thought it might be the traditional harness I have and I recently bought a step in Susan Lanci Harness. This has help slightly but has not totally helped the situation. Sometimes she will walked leashed and sometimes not, I just don't get it!

·
Registered
1,263 Posts
When she doesn't or refuses to move, try and get down to call her. That may help. Cricket is 5yrs, and was never leashed trained, so guess what I got to do. Once I get a good fitting harness she won't have much of a choice.

·
Premium Member
5,089 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Have you tried just putting the harness and leash on in the house without the lead to get her used to it ?
Yes, I have tried this. She is absolutely fine with the harness and will wear it around for hours in the house. I have also attached th eleash and let her sort of drag it around inside.:confused:

·
Banned
5,610 Posts
Is she totally fine in the harness without a leash? What kind of leash are you using? Odie is scared of big, retractable leashes and we had to find one that she liked. She's still wary when we take it off of her, but is fine on walks. It took her awhile to get used to it though. Your girl may just need some time. I wouldn't take her on walks without the leash, so she associates walking with the leash only, and maybe she'll warm up to it.

·
Premium Member
5,089 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
If she was trained to show she would be used to a martingale or a slip lead. Have you tried a collar instead of a harness?
I have tried a leash on her collar but now that i think about it when I first met Lady she was on a slip lead. Maybe that is it!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts