Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had a white/cream smooth coat female and she always shed so much hair. It did not matter if it was summer, winter, just washed, just brushed etc. She always shed hair. Her skin was healthy and she was fed and exercised right.

It was a problem, leaving hair all over my clothes, lounge, bed, floor etc. I loved her dearly, however it was a pain to keep the house hair free.

I have had a male black smooth coat for 7 years and he has never lost excessive hair and his hair has never made the house dirty. My white female past in December (god bless her) and I'd love to get another white Chi, but if it's common for white Chi's to lose so much hair like that - I might consider another colour. Are white Chi's prone to this, or was it just bad luck? How do I avoid picking a Chi that loses so much hair next time.

Thanks for the help.

·
Administrator
6,452 Posts
Hello and Welcome.

My Zoey is all white and I don't have this problem with her. Our big dog Max is white and brindle and he sheds really bad.

·
Registered
497 Posts
I dont think i've ever seen a brindle chi ( is max a chi?). I'm gonna have to google it now lol.

My dog isnt a chi but i figured i would mention that she's black and white and sheds alot as well, through out the year. I'm happy we dont have carpet. I think each dog will shed differently but if you go the breeder route when getting your next chihuahua you could just ask if the parents are shedders to try and get a clue as to what you are in store for.

·
Registered
497 Posts
Oh, ok lol. I did google it though. They are kinda cute even though they remind me of the merles alittle.

·
Registered
42 Posts
My chi is also a white smooth coat and she is exactly the same way! Sheds, sheds, sheds, day in and day out no matter what season it is. I could build another dog with all the fur I collect in the vaccuum. I find that brushing/combing out her undercoat during the spring/fall certainly helps...but doesn't eliminate shedding altogether. If anyone has some good advice, help!!

·
Registered
4,652 Posts
I don't believe shedding has to do with a certain color. If anything it's more genetic. However, I believe any kind of excessive shedding has to do with some sort of food intolerence. Find the right food for them & they most likely will not have a lot of shedding. So I'd not look pass a white SC Chi for that reason...that's just me. :)

My Maya is a blue brindle Chi btw. :)

·
Registered
7,637 Posts
I don't believe shedding has to do with a certain color. If anything it's more genetic. However, I believe any kind of excessive shedding has to do with some sort of food intolerence. Find the right food for them & they most likely will not have a lot of shedding. So I'd not look pass a white SC Chi for that reason...that's just me. :)

My Maya is a blue brindle Chi btw. :)

You hit the nail right on the head there!! I was gonna say it could be a food intolerance.

·
Registered
7,558 Posts
Jerry does not shed more than Tabitha. They both lose a few hairs daily, just like people.
I wouldn't let the color of a pup put you off if you find the right one for you :)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
What does furminate mean?

Thank you everyone for your posts.

It wasn't just that her hair was white and more noticeable. I've had a black chi for 7 years and the white dog's hair shedding was so much worse.
I wonder if it was a food allergy. How would you know if it was that?
Did the salmon oil fix the problem?

It seems like an odd question that is hard to answer:

If its common for white Chi's to lose so much hair like that - I might consider another colour. Are white Chi's prone to this, or was it just bad luck? How do I avoid picking a Chi that loses so much hair next time.

It seems like there are a few people with light chi's who find their shedding to be excessive also.

·
Premium Member
0 Posts
Apparently long coats don't shed as much as short coats - you'd think the opposite :) I rarely see any hair shed from my crew.

·
Registered
6,831 Posts
My Pip sheds like crazy! Roo not at all, but Pip it just falls off him like it's raining hair. It's worse in the Spring, but he always seems to shed somewhat. Right now he'd shedding like mad and has been for weeks now.

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
Willy is a creamy colour and I notice he sheds ALOT. Luna (tri colour) and Cujo (brownish/black sabling) don't shed at all. I was wondering myself why Willy sheds so much. I was wondering if it was dry fur. A friend of mine suggested giving him 1 egg a week to help with his coat.
I could brush him and brush him and the fur just keeps coming. He is a SC.
Luna and Cujo also are SC

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
My Paco is a mostly white smooth coat with very fine hair and he sheds, but not to excess, but i do notice it on my cloths, but not the floor or the carpet. I would also say that shedding would most likley be genetic.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts