Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all. I have 2 3yo chis who will not stop licking my couches! I just got new couches and they are a different type of fabric than our previous ones, and my chis have started to lick them! I say no and try to stop them but they are right back at it in seconds! any ideas how to get them to stop? I would like to allow them up there, but the licking has already led to discoloration. Please help!

·
Registered
199 Posts
That's hilarious! Maybe bitter spray would work? You'd have to spot check for discoloration first, but I think it would stop them from licking the couch..

·
Registered
4,436 Posts
I would put them off the couch when they lick. What kind of material is it? Suade? My chi licks the couch once in a great while, but not often and I have suade. I also put sheets over my couch which keeps her from licking and the couches cleaner.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks everyone! I think they are getting enough stimulation, but they do tend to do it more often at night/when we are not around. Normally they start by licking their paws, and then just move over to the couch. It's the strangest thing! I will try bitter spray next, hopefully that will work.

·
Registered
4,436 Posts
I would NOT recommend bitter spray. Chi's are so sensitive to everything that it could cause a very bad reaction. There's many other alternatives that are better and healthier for them. With so little info, it's hard to know why they do it. Do you have the windows open where pollen comes in? Have they just been outside walking in the grass when they start licking? Are they chewing their feet as well as licking? You have to find out why they're doing it to know how to help it.

·
Registered
3,287 Posts
Another downside to bitter spray is that if you touch where you spray, it gets on your hand! Yuk!

I agree with putting them off the couch and saying no! Angel will lick hubby's pants and I just tell him to stop licking.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts