Chihuahua People Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
458 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anybody else find that they love the convenience and joy of a tiny dog like chis? I am in love with being able to pick Venus up with one hand, give her a bath in the sink, and her portability. Her grooming needs are very low, and she doesn't really shed much at all.

I used to love big dogs and disliked the idea of having a dog smaller than 35 pounds. I didn't dislike small dogs themselves, but I never wanted one of my own. I still love big dogs, but ever since my daughter insisted on getting Venus I have been spoiled with having a tiny dog. I doubt I'll ever get a dog larger than 10 or maybe 15 lbs again. Even 15 lbs seems huge to me now that we have 4 lb Venus and soon we'll also have a 6 lb chi.

We had a husky and a chow/lab mix. The husky was my husband's, and the chow/lab was mine. We already had them when we were just dating. They were very amazing dogs, but I wouldn't have gotten any large hairy dogs if I knew how soon we would have had kids, and if I knew how difficult it would be to have kids and large hairy dogs.

We kept our dogs until they had to be put to sleep for one reason or another (13 and 17 years). It was a struggle to travel, to keep things clean, and to keep our dogs groomed so they looked and smelled nice all the time. When I was single and had only my Chow/Lab I could devote so much time to grooming her so she always smelled fruity and looked great.

Our large dogs were not portable at all, and we would be limited when we wanted to go on vacations. Even a day trip or overnight trip to Disneyland was harder because we had to line up a kennel or a sitter instead. We took a longer vacation a couple of times, and it cost us many hundreds of dollars in boarding fees. Now I can't wait to just take our tiny dogs with us on trips as long as there is a pet friendly hotel.

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
I love the fact that I can fit both of mine (still puppies) under one arm so I still have a hand free to open doors and carry their stuff :)

·
Registered
458 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I love the fact that I can fit both of mine (still puppies) under one arm so I still have a hand free to open doors and carry their stuff :)
Yes, I love that too. My daughter carries Venus around in one arm and she does everything with her other arm. I carry Venus like a baby, and it's so easy. I'll have to wait and see if our new dog will like being carried around too. He won't be home for nearly another week.

·
Registered
3,561 Posts
I love the fact that Jaxx is so small. I too have always had large dogs until Jaxx. I have had several back surgeries so a large dog was out of the question. Jaxx gives so much love and I love that I never know what he is going to do next.
Grooming is a definate plus for small dogs. I don't even want to think about the money I spent for grooming my golden retriever ever two weeks for ten plus years just so he would smell nice, but he was worth all the money and more. It is nice to be able to bath Jaxx myself and he loves baths so it is fun as welll.

·
Registered
135 Posts
I tell my husband that our dogs are like a big BOGO sale I feed them the same food I buy A LOT for Dylan so its like Penny eats for free. I do love that when its time to trim nails its not a full contact wrestling match that ends up with me laying on top of her like it is with Dylan.

·
Registered
2,050 Posts
Someone asked me if I was paying a lot more for dog food now that we had 2, and I realized, no, I don't really notice a lot. I pointed out that my 2 dogs combined still weigh less than half of just one of their dogs.

Also I love that both crates still fit in the back of a Hyundai accent with room for a person next to them. And we all fit on the couch together without a problem.

Before I got our first dog I was one of those people who would never want a dog smaller than a spaniel, but now I am sold.

·
Registered
458 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Good. I'm not the only one who thinks that the tiny dogs are awesome. I love their tiny little bodies, and how easy they are to care for. It didn't take long to get used to a 4 lb dog after having 45-80 lb dogs for most of my life. As a very little girl I had a mini dachshund, but even she was probably a little over 10 lbs.

Most dogs are cute, cuddly, and playful, but only the tiny dogs like chi's are also a lot easier to feed, groom, and to take on trips. I'm very much spoiled now that I've had tiny dogs. I wish I thought about having tiny dogs when I was young and single. I used to haul my 45 lb dog with me all over the place, and it wasn't easy and it became practically impossible once I had my kids. There just wasn't any room for my kids' things, my things, and for the dogs.

·
Registered
376 Posts
I've never been a big dog person. I grew up with a boxer. My brother has a boxer now and she's soooo big. I love her (like I do all dogs) and don't mind keeping her at all when my bro has to go out of town. But I do not want to own a big dog. Hercules (at 21 lbs) is really too big for my tastes.
I love small dogs with short hair. Easy to care for. Low maintenance. That's the way I like it.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I have always been a big dog person. I liked taking them hiking and that sort of thing. Then I couldn't have a dog for awhile due to apartment life so when we bought a house I went with a big dog. I love my boxer. She's a sweetheart and travels wonderfully. We live in Texas and our families are all on the west coast so it's either board them or take them. I take when I can and hotels often have weight limits which makes it harder. I have 4 kids and don't hike any more. I enjoy the portability and general ease of the chi plus she's just so cute! My boxer was definitely easier to potty train though and I never worry about her getting sat or stepped on.

I was a chi-hater for awhile due to some badly behaved ones but I have also met some stellar behaved ones. My goal is one of those. No doggy divas allowed. But I have to admit that not spoiling is harder than I expected.

·
Registered
458 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I have always been a big dog person. I liked taking them hiking and that sort of thing. Then I couldn't have a dog for awhile due to apartment life so when we bought a house I went with a big dog. I love my boxer. She's a sweetheart and travels wonderfully. We live in Texas and our families are all on the west coast so it's either board them or take them. I take when I can and hotels often have weight limits which makes it harder. I have 4 kids and don't hike any more. I enjoy the portability and general ease of the chi plus she's just so cute! My boxer was definitely easier to potty train though and I never worry about her getting sat or stepped on.

I was a chi-hater for awhile due to some badly behaved ones but I have also met some stellar behaved ones. My goal is one of those. No doggy divas allowed. But I have to admit that not spoiling is harder than I expected.

Venus is spoiled rotten. However, we don't let her get away with things that our big dogs couldn't get away with such as barking their heads off when they shouldn't be, biting, jumping up on people, and leash pulling. When we got her she was a stereotypical chi and was yappy and tried to rule the house. We didn't let her be a diva in the house, and it took us about 2 months to get her to be good with other dogs when we went for walks, parks, or stores. She is so good now and everybody remarks on how surprised they are that she is a docile and sweet dog.

I wouldn't say I was a chi-hater, but I didn't think they were cute at all until I started doing research on chis. All the chis or chi mixes that I used to see weren't really very cute (partly due to behavior) so that was one reason I thought they weren't for me. Now I am a chi-addict, and I think they're one of the cutest dogs on the planet.

·
Registered
1,596 Posts
I love the fact they are so portable and tiny too! I dont think I could have a big dog now, it just wouldnt seem like a proper dog somehow!:rolleyes:
Its very handy if I come across a pavement full of broken glass coz as long as I line them up I can pick all 3 up at once and avoid danger, also if someone is injured they are easy to carry home.
Food costs are brilliant too. I was on a forum with someone with a rhodesian ridgeback the other day and it worked out that 1 days food for her dog would feed all 3 of mine for 3 days!!:eek:

·
Registered
86 Posts
Well I used to have cats. For years I always had a cat. Then I developed an allergy so I got my first chi with the idea that it was the closest thing to a cat in the dog world.. lol I just love the little chis and my hubby wanted a 'real' dog but not he is a chi person too and wouldnt have anything else. He always says if its over 10lbs you may as well get a horse.. lol

·
Registered
458 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I love the fact they are so portable and tiny too! I dont think I could have a big dog now, it just wouldnt seem like a proper dog somehow!:rolleyes:
Its very handy if I come across a pavement full of broken glass coz as long as I line them up I can pick all 3 up at once and avoid danger, also if someone is injured they are easy to carry home.
Food costs are brilliant too. I was on a forum with someone with a rhodesian ridgeback the other day and it worked out that 1 days food for her dog would feed all 3 of mine for 3 days!!:eek:
Great points. I completely agree. Our Husky ended up having a horrible seizure one day out of the blue, and I was home with my kids. I didn't know what to do because she was so big, and I couldn't pick up her dead weight (she couldn't walk or control her body for a while after the seizure). My husband was about an hour or more away depending on So Cal traffic. Luckily she eventually came to enough, and I got her to lay down in the laundry room while we waited for my husband to take her to the vet. It turned out that she had brain tumors and didn't show any symptoms until that day. She had to be put down because she repeatedly kept on having painful and disorienting seizures. She was 13.

There were really bad fires here in Reno just before Thanksgiving. We had just gotten the keys to our new house, but our rental house was smack in the middle of the fire area with smoke and fire all over. It was so scary so we had to evacuate. I can only imagine what it would have been like to evacuate our two big dogs along with all of us and some things we had to take. It was so easy to just scoop up Venus and put her in her little kennel. If we had to stay in a shelter because we had nowhere to go, then it would have been even harder with large dogs.

My friends have a very sickly Great Dane. He's had every problem in the world and has cost so much more money for his healthcare partly because of his size. He is around 150 lbs so he eats a ton of food. They aren't able to take him anywhere on little trips or vacations because he's so big.

Well I used to have cats. For years I always had a cat. Then I developed an allergy so I got my first chi with the idea that it was the closest thing to a cat in the dog world.. lol I just love the little chis and my hubby wanted a 'real' dog but not he is a chi person too and wouldnt have anything else. He always says if its over 10lbs you may as well get a horse.. lol

My husband and I were in the same boat as far as little dogs. We thought they were not for us even though my husband grew up with a small poodle mix of around 15 lbs. I also had a poodle of around 15 lbs when I was a kid. My daughter was the one who wanted a Chihuahua when she was a little over 5. I told her that when one of our big dogs passed she could get one so she should save her money if she was really serious. Each time she wanted to buy herself something she would usually save her money so she could get a Chihuahua or a pony. Well, the Husky passed away about about a year and half later and a few months later we picked up Venus at at the shelter. The rest is history and we're now chi and tiny dog addicts.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts