Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone!
I have two questions. So far I have been able to teach little Coopy (who is just over 1 yr and 3 months) to sit, shake/high 5, beg, 'what does Copy want' (a trick where he touches his nose to the fridge when he is hungry... let's just say I regret teaching him this one a little hahaha) and lay down. The thing that gets me is Cooper seems to be a visual learner, that is I could say 'pinapple' if I wanted but if I do the action he will still do the trick. However if I say the word but no action he doesn't know what to do. He knows sit, and what does coopy want by sound but down beg and shake are purely by the action (raise hand for beg, pat the ground for down (lay) and show my palm for shake. All the while through training I have used the one word for all (being beg, high 5 and down) but he still only knows by action. Is this bad? Should he be getting it by now? Its not like he cant hear because he does know sit and what does coopy want.

Now my second question is about smiling (submissive grinning). Cooper does this naturally but only very rarely and not enough to learn from me telling him 'smile' when he does it. The only time I can replicate this is when he smells chilli, wasabi, oranges/lemons/mandarines etc he will scrunch up his nose with his teeth showing a little. Would this be a way to teach him (say peel a mandarine let him smell it and then say/ tell him smile when he reacts)? Anyone have a good method? Thanks so much all!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts