Chihuahua People Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
4,425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, I don't have long but I wanted to post this really quick...

Today was Cooper's photo shoot in the park (we didn't go to the botanical gardens... they charged a fee for any kind of portrait-taking) and I got to meet Cooper's half-sister Maya and her momma, Jen ... both were very cool!

Cooper ran around and had fun but it was 105 degrees and he got pretty hot, pretty quick. But being the supermom that I am, I had a bottle of ice water in my bag, so I whipped it out, poured it into Cooper's travel bowl and both he and Maya started drinking it all down. Wait before you praise me though... (I knew you were going to; I could feel it.)

So, we'd been out there almost 45 minutes and it was so hot, we may as well have been standing on the surface of the sun... or perhaps living in a really large oven. Anywho, Maya and Cooper started to tire out, of course, and we all sat down. THEN, I got the poopsies scared out of me.

Cooper started to walk off from us and I noticed he looked drunk, stumbling and falling over. I grabbed him and thought he may have just gotten overheated and poured ice water on his back which then sent him into a shaking fit and I almost flipped out completely. Jen, Maya's mom, said "do you have any Nutrical? That looks like hypoglycemia."

Well, here's where I have to make an admission. I have NEVER seen a chihuahua have a hypoglycemic episode and I have always thought all you people and your nutrical this and nutrical that were just plain crazy. I'll even admit that I just rolled my eyes every time someone mentioned it for new puppy owners.

Yeah... well.... ummm.... Cooper eats one meal a day, at 5pm. It was about 5pm but with the addition of the heat, etc... yeah. And I didn't have any nutrical, of course. Neither did Jen - but I DID have treats!!! So I started grabbing the treats and he was eating them faster than I could get them out of the bag. (Don't worry, I found time to toss Maya a treat now and again - we're not rude, even when we're having seizures!)

Once he had about half a box of treats in his belly, I gave him some of my soda since it was the only sugary thing I had and, a few minutes later, he was back to "normal".

So first, I would like to let everyone know Cooper is just fine; we came home, he ate dinner then he ate a little pot roast and gravy, so he's living the good life. Secondly, I would like to apologize to EVERYONE that I have rolled my eyes at when I read posts about nutrical and how we should all carry it with us. I'll be buying some - maybe tomorrow, but if not, definitely Monday. Third, no, I'm not okay... I'm still shaking from the whole thing - that's just not fun at all. Hopefully, I'll be better tomorrow.

Pics will be forthcoming. Jen said she'd get them to me in the next few days!!

·
Registered
393 Posts
OMG, that would have been terrifying! I've often wondered about the Nutrical thing too, but as I don't have a chi yet I just thought I would wait & see. The soda was a good idea, & treats too, you did well to think clearly in an emergency!

Glad Coop is feeling himself again (that pot roast sounds good!), and at least you've been thru the worst (the shock of seeing his first seizure) and next time you'll be prepared.

·
Registered
4,425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
yeah, after having chis for a combined 27-30 years of my life, I had never seen that happen before. I was completely stumped ... then he started shaking like crazy and I thought my head was going to explode!! I couldn't figure out how being overheated would make him shake. Good thing Jen was there to suggest the hypoglycemia or I would have sat there, dumping water on him for hours.

The really ironic thing is that this morning, I woke up, took a shower, messed around the house for a few hours and my mom found me passed out in the living room when she woke up. Seems my blood sugar had fallen so low that I just collapsed.

So both Cooper and I had episodes today. Maybe I should carry Nutrical for the both of us. :lol:

·
Registered
718 Posts
Oh how scary for you!!! :pale: I am so glad he's okay. That was some quick thinking on your part, the soda would have worked fast. I hope you're feeling better tomorrow...I'm sure it was worse for you than for Cooper!

·
Registered
2,143 Posts
Wow, I am SO, SO sorry that this happened to you and Cooper! I can only imagine how scared you were. I'd have flipped out too, no doubt. You did well under the circumstances and should always consider yourself a super Mom. I hope Cooper as well as yourself have a good night and that you feel much better tomorrow. :)

Now.... seeing as how I've learned from what you've told here... Where do I pick up Nutrical??? I think I may should have some on hand.

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
I'm so glad Cooper is feeling better...that must have been such a scary experience.

Can't wait to see those pics. :)

For LuvMyChi: You can pick up Nutrical at Petco. I have some, thankfully I haven't had to use it yet, but it's always good to have.

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

OMG!!!!! I'm so glad you're both ok! I have to admit i've only seen hypoglycemia in a dog one time in all these years i've had chihuahuas and at first i didn't recognize it either. You just don't think of low blood sugar in situations like that.

Ummm...you're still coming aren't you? :toothy4:

·
Registered
4,425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
ROFL... yes, we're still coming but I'm bringing Cooper's dinner with us, just in case. We were bringing treats with us to share but... well... he ate a good deal of them yesterday while I was calmly freaking out. LOL

I'm just waiting on Mom & Dad to get their lazy retired butts out of bed so I can take a shower (my shampoo is in their bathroom!). It's almost 9:00, so I'm sure they'll be up soon, right? LOL

·
Registered
5,807 Posts
I know at least one other chi mom who will be purchasing nutrical this week. How scary was that! :shock:

I wouldn't have recognized that it was hypoglycemia either. I thought that was something only puppies could get. I'd have been pouring water over Lily til she drowned, thinking she was overheated. Okay, I don't even want to think about this anymore. Just glad Cooper's okay.

And you, missy, how did you let your own blood sugar get so low??? Didn't you have any warning beforehand? You probably scared your poor mom half to death. :shock:

·
Registered
2,415 Posts
Wow - what a scary experience. So happy things are back to "normal" now.

I'm an absolute believer in Nutrical and never leave the house without it. About a year ago, Tia, my chi who went to the Bridge last year, had been pretty sick for several days and just wasn't eating much at all. I really didn't think too much about her not eating. She didn't have a big appetite in the best of times, and was in very poor health. So, we go to my daughtrer's house and we are all sitting out by the pool and Tia starts to stagger around like she's drunk. Just like you, I thought she had gotten too hot. Thank goodness my grand-daughter knew what the problem was. We didn't have any Nutrical, so she gave her some honey, took her inside so she could cool off, and in a few minutes she was fine. Scared the crap out of me - I've never been without Nutrical since then. And no, it's not just puppies who can get hypoglycemia. Tia was 9 years old when this happened, and it just happens so suddenly. One minute they seem fine, and the next minute it hits them. Sooo scarey!

Am happy you are both O.K. now. Enjoy the rest of your vacation.

·
Registered
642 Posts
:shock: Wow! I am so happy Cooper is OK. It makes you realize just how fragile lil chis are. I have never had anything like that happen to me, but Ella's breeder did recommend it to me and I do have a tube of it. From now on I think I will start carrying it in her bag with her. I guess you never know when something like that can happen.

·
Registered
4,920 Posts
I am SO glad Copper is Ok and you will probably feel better in about 6 months. Thank heavens you had some treats and a soda with you. I would have been scared witless and suspected it was heat too. :shock:

·
Registered
4,425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Rachael Polachek said:
And you, missy, how did you let your own blood sugar get so low??? Didn't you have any warning beforehand? You probably scared your poor mom half to death. :shock:
That's a good question. I had just had a quadruple white chocolate mocha latte and a banana nut muffin, took a shower, got out of the shower and felt super dizzy and weak - then I got dressed (barely) and stood up to go to the kitchen and <thump> over I went.

Not sure why that happened since I'd had enough sugar that morning to make Willie Wonka jealous but my dad checked my blood sugar once I came to and it was 52 ... I am low all the time, running around 70-80 but never that low, obviously. He checked it when I came through the door tonight (oh... dad's diabetic so he freaks out easily) and I'm holding steady at 73, even though I was drinking a coke as I walked in.

I'm sorry I don't have a better answer for you Rachael. But look!!!!
:pottytrain4: :pottytrain5: :pottytrain4: :pottytrain5:
Feel better now???

·
Registered
5,807 Posts
Cooper said:
Rachael Polachek said:
That's a good question. I had just had a quadruple white chocolate mocha latte and a banana nut muffin, took a shower, got out of the shower and felt super dizzy and weak - then I got dressed (barely) and stood up to go to the kitchen and <thump> over I went.

Not sure why that happened since I'd had enough sugar that morning to make Willie Wonka jealous but my dad checked my blood sugar once I came to and it was 52 ... I am low all the time, running around 70-80 but never that low, obviously. He checked it when I came through the door tonight (oh... dad's diabetic so he freaks out easily) and I'm holding steady at 73, even though I was drinking a coke as I walked in.

I'm sorry I don't have a better answer for you Rachael. But look!!!!
:pottytrain4: :pottytrain5: :pottytrain4: :pottytrain5:
Feel better now???
Thanks, those emoticons help more than I can express. :roll:

1 - 20 of 24 Posts