Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
477 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 12-year-old Bichon boy, Cosmo, is having surgery tomorrow to remove a growth from his tongue. The vet took a biopsy a week ago and the lab report came back inconclusive. Although the report did not say the growth was malignant, it also did not say it was benign. My vet recommended removing the growth for Cosmo's well being. If there is anything bad in there, hopefully removing it will take care of it. It's small and Dr. Kris said she can remove it with a good margin and it still won't be a very big wound to heal up. The lab should be able to give us a definite answer after examining the whole growth.

I lost my Bichon girl, Lacy, last July to cancer in her mouth. Needless to say, I'm very worried about Cosmo and very scared right now. Cosmo's is very different from Lacy's, but it's like considering the difference between a car wreck and an airplane crash - both are bad and no one wants to go there.

I will stay with Cosmo, will hold him on my lap for the go-to-sleep shot and he will wake up in my arms when the surgery is over. He was very scared and disoriented when he woke up last week, yelped and howled. As soon as he was awake enough to recognize my voice, he calmed down and was OK. Not something I'm looking forward to going through again.

Jeanette

·
Registered
3,960 Posts
Please know little Cosmo and you will remain in my prayers until he is safely back home with his family. Blessings, Deb

·
Registered
4,436 Posts
Think positively! I'll be praying & thinking of you & Cosmo. Let us know how it goes. I think it's great your vet lets you hold him when he goes to sleep & wakes up. I don't know if my vet would let me?! I'll have to ask her.

·
Registered
477 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Think positively! I'll be praying & thinking of you & Cosmo. Let us know how it goes. I think it's great your vet lets you hold him when he goes to sleep & wakes up. I don't know if my vet would let me?! I'll have to ask her.
My Lacy was very timid and traumatized at the vet's office, so I always stayed with her for a dental. She went to sleep in my arms and woke up in my arms. Never knew she left me. Cosmo has become more attached to me since Lacy has been gone, and I wouldn't do any less for him. Last week was just the second time he's had his teeth cleaned. My vet is a very nice gal and she puts up with me. She's very gentle with the dogs, stayed with me while Cosmo woke up and kept checking with me and Cosmo until he was awake enough to go home last week. She knows how apprehensive I am about tomorrow's surgery. I'll be right there if Cosmo needs me!

Jeanette

·
Registered
14,441 Posts
Keep us posted on little Cosmo! I will be pulling for him!

·
Administrator
11,989 Posts
Prayers for little Cosmo! Keep us updated.

·
Registered
3,960 Posts
Any update on little Cosmo after surgery???

·
Registered
477 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks to everyone for your kind thoughts and prayers. Cosmo came through the surgery in fine shape. He didn't throw up this time and woke up very calm and quiet. He went to sleep in my arms and woke up in my arms, wrapped in his favorite blanket. Dr. Kris said he has three stitches. She showed me the growth. It's not as big as the tip of my little finger. She will send it off, of course, and hope we get a definitive report this time.

Cosmo has pain meds and antibiotics. He has slept most of the day. He ate a bit of cottage cheese early in the afternoon when I gave him his antibiotic. I didn't think he needed to take medicine on an empty stomach. I mixed some warm water with his canned food for supper, made it really soft, and he ate every bite. He isn't complaining much, but does moan and groan now and then. I'm staying very close to him, sitting with him most of the time, talking to him and petting him and comforting him. Lavender is staying close to him, too. She's a good little sister.

Now we wait for the lab report and hope it's good news!

Jeanette

·
Registered
14,441 Posts
So happy he's home with you again. Sounds like he's doing really well. Bless his little heart!

·
Registered
477 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Cosmo slept pretty good last night, only moved around a time or two, ate his breakfast of pumpkin and cottage cheese. He's had his meds and is curled up on the couch now. I had the electric blanket on last night and he got too warm and moved down to the foot of the bed. Lavender got up and went to the foot of the bed, too, and layed beside him. She's a good little sister! I won't be doing much but staying close to Cosmo, reading or watching TV, for a couple of days. I'm kind of worn out. Now we wait for the lab report and hope it's good.

Thanks for all the support. It is much appreciated.

Jeanette

·
Registered
3,960 Posts
Bless you little Cosmo.. Sounds like your mom and Lavender are taking wonderful care of you after the surgery.. Continued prayers for a good lab report. Deb

·
Registered
477 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Just talked to Cosmo's vet, Dr. Kris. She said the University of Tennessee, where they're doing the biopsy analysis, called her. They say the growth is malignant, but it's something they haven't seen before, something very rare, so they are doing further tests. It will probably be Friday or Monday before we get the full report. I am pretty upset, was hoping for something good. Cosmo doesn't show any signs of being sick and we would not have known about the growth if he hadn't gone in for a dental. He doesn't act like he hurts anywhere or anything like that. I'm just sitting here crying now. I don't know how I can go through this again. I still cry so often for Lacy.

Jeanette

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
Just talked to Cosmo's vet, Dr. Kris. She said the University of Tennessee, where they're doing the biopsy analysis, called her. They say the growth is malignant, but it's something they haven't seen before, something very rare, so they are doing further tests. It will probably be Friday or Monday before we get the full report. I am pretty upset, was hoping for something good. Cosmo doesn't show any signs of being sick and we would not have known about the growth if he hadn't gone in for a dental. He doesn't act like he hurts anywhere or anything like that. I'm just sitting here crying now. I don't know how I can go through this again. I still cry so often for Lacy.

Jeanette
:sad5: I am so sorry hon! I am keeping Cosmo in my prayers and hoping for the best. I hope it's something that they can fix and that he'll be ok! I wish I could give you a hug right now I know how tough this situation is and still very soft subject after losing your precious Lacy. Know that you're in my thoughts and prayers hon. *Hugs*

·
Registered
4,436 Posts
Oh, good grief!!! I am soooo sorry! I feel your pain as my heart breaks for you & Cosmo. I still have positive feelings about this as it seems you have caught it early and there is still some hope! Please try to stay strong & positive. I know it's hard, but I'm praying for you guys! Lots of Hugs!!!

·
Registered
477 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Many thanks. I am trying to stay positive and wait until we have all the facts. If the University of Tennessee hasn't seen it, it is truly rare. They are one of the best, if not the best, facility in the country. Cosmo does not act like he feels bad or hurts anywhere. We will probably take some x-rays and an ultrasound to see if he has tumors anywhere else, but we'll make those decisions when we have more information. We will fight as long as it's a good fight.

Cosmo has so many friends, all the kids he visits at the Children's Library, all of my family and just about everyone he's ever met. The lady who does story time at the library put his pictures in his "lamp shade" collar on her desk with some sheets she printed out with "Get Well Soon" at the top and a picture of a flower so the kids could make get well cards for Cosmo. I have a stack of them and will put them in Cosmo's Memory Book.

It's hard to be facing this again, but maybe we will have a better shot at treating Cosmo than we had with Lacy.

Jeanette

·
Registered
477 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
My vet called with the report from U.T. on Cosmo's biopsy. They say it's "acinic cell carcinoma, clear cell variant." My vet had never heard of it and went to some of the vet web sites she uses and only found it mentioned one time, so it is very rare. She has requested a consultation with the oncologist at U.T. to get further information and advice regarding treatment. Dr. Kris said it is nothing like what Lacy had. The report said it is slow growing and low metastasizing, which are both very good. The fact that Cosmo doesn't act like he feels bad or that his tongue is sore or bothering him is also good. He is eating and drinking, chewing on his knuckle bone, and doing everything he normally does. Dr. Kris is very optimistic about Cosmo's prognosis. Cosmo has an appointment next Tuesday to see Dr. Kris. She will take a look at his tongue then. We may have to lightly sedate him since he won't even let me look at his tongue. Can't blame him!

So, I am encouraged and trying to think positive and believe we can beat this thing. We will wait to decide if we will do x-rays and an ultrasound to see if Cosmo might have tumors somewhere else. This type of cancer attacks saliva glands sometimes, so Dr. Kris will be checking those. Cosmo is happy today and I am thankful for that. I love my Bichon boy so very much! We will take it one day at a time.

Jeanette

1 - 20 of 39 Posts