Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone! I am getting my 7month old chi Selena spayed on Monday. I just got off the phone with the vet's office and they told me to expect it to cost about $500. Does this seem too high? For some reason I was under the impression that it was only $200-ish. It's not a biggie if it's that much, I'm definitely getting her spayed on Monday, I just want to make sure I'm not getting wripped off, ya know?
Any advice would be great!
Thanks,
Holly

·
Registered
3,110 Posts
That seems Really steep to me! Around here in Idaho its only about 80-100 dollars. Are you having anything else done like tattoos or anything?

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the feedback.
All she's getting done is the spaying. (she already has a microchip in and no problems with the baby/adult teeth)
They said it's $300 for the procedure, and then the extra $200 is for the IV, anestisia(sp?), and meds afterwards.
It's supposed to be a great vet it came highly recommended by a friend, so I really want to get it done there. Guess I'll have to suck it up and lay down the bones (no pun intended) :shock:

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
Wow, that sounds expensive. My Trixie is getting spayed next Monday and the cost is $125.00. But if you feel good about the vet and can afford it, then go for it. Best wishes for a speedy recovery for Selena :)

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the advice. Maybe the cost is so much higher here because I'm in NYC?? (most prices are inflated) Like I said, the vet came recommended by a friend, I've never taken her there before. It's possible it could be one of those luxury pet vets and that's why it's so high.

I'm going to call a few others in the area and get pricing from them as well to see if that's the norm around here. Depending on what I find out I may change vets.

·
Registered
4,153 Posts
Wow! That's expensive! I'm going to pay about $120 for my shih tzu to get spayed. I would call other vets and ask their prices. Just to give you an idea if that's normal pricing for your area.

·
Registered
4,825 Posts
Mine were about $300 with a chip put in. I live in Maryland. I have been told that my vet is a little high, but I like them.
I think the farther south you go the cheaper it is :dontknow:

·
Registered
66 Posts
Wow.. All this sounds really expensive. I'm getting Tia done in February and now I don't know if I'll be able to! Or maybe my parents already know it's this much.. Hmm

·
Registered
185 Posts
I went to the ASPCA of Mississippi and Sunnys cost me only 47.00(for shots and e-collar). But with my own medical problems it was reduced to that.

·
Registered
3,815 Posts
Our hospital charges between $350-$600 for spays depending on the time in surgery (things like being in heat, deciduous teeth, etc... increase the length of surgery time). While Los Angeles is known for being pricey, the quality of the care is also beyond what vets in other cities or states may be providing. Any quality surgery should include the following things:

1. Pre-Anesthetic Bloodwork Profile - any pre-existing conditions that might put the animal at risk during anesthesia? these answers also help vets choose safer methods of anesthesia for a particular animal.
2. IV Cather/Fluids - direct IV access for pre/induction meds and emergency meds if needed, fluids keep the blood pressure up during surgery and help with a speedy recovery
3. Pre-Anesthetic Sedative - relaxing the animal makes the induction process safer, painless, and stress-free
4. Safe Anesthesia - appropriate induction drugs with isoflourane anesthesia (a lot of places will only do one or the other, not both)
5. Pre and Post Surgical Nursing Care, Overnight hospitalization - someone making sure the animals needs are tended too, pain is managed, and the animal is comfortable at all times.
6. Pain meds and Prophylactics - any invasive surgery might need prophylactic antibiotics to prevent infection, some doctors may use marcaine at suture sites to ease recovery or administer buprenex post op. They may also send home pain relievers like metacam or derramax.

These things are not just requirements of a "good" spay, they are responsible things that unfortunately only a small percentage of all vets practice, mostly due to cost issues. For a lot of vets the greater good is neutering and spaying all animals, and the quality of care suffers so that the procedure can be cheap. However, for owners who really care about our pets, we can have control over what kind of care they get!

A spay is a MAJOR surgery, they are removing the ovaries and uterus in an animal a small fraction of the size of a human. A human equivalent surgery would cost upwards of $30,000 not including the fees for the anesthesiologist, nursing, hospital care, etc...

Since you live in NYC, it seems like a reasonable amount to pay for the spay. However, make sure that your vet is doing the above otherwise you may want to look for another surgeon! The best surgeons will not be necessarily the most expensive, since they will take the least amount of time in surgery. Doctors charge for surgery time per 15 minutes. There is a doctor I work with that can do a neuter in 38 seconds and a spay in under 8 minutes. The less time they are under anesthesia the safer the procedure. A spay is not the time to take a risk on the quality of care your dog is going to get!

Good luck! -Nate

·
Registered
96 Posts
That is really steep for spaying alone....but if they are doing lab test, teeth cleaning, etc. along with the spaying that is about right.

But I keep thinking that is how much I paid for both of my cats combined to be spayed but they stayed two days in the vets office as well as blood test.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks for all the help. By the time I got home from work I only had time last night to call one other vet in the area (they were open later hours), which told me they charge about $400 ($100 less).

Nate, thanks for all the information, it is very helpful. Selena is going in Saturday morning for her pre-surgery bloodwork. I was also told that she'll be receiving the IV fluids, anesthesia (not sure what kind, I will be sure to ask on Saturday), post surgery medications, and optional overnight stay the day of surgery. The actual time she is in surgery I definitely will find out, because as you said, I do not want to have her under anesthesia for a prolonged amount of time. But, it seems that this vet is taking all the necessary precautions to ensure a high quality surgery -- that and my location most likely reflects the high price. However I will be making sure all items you indicated will be present when I speak with him on Saturday, otherwise I will be looking elsewhere.

Since she is getting it done at 9:30am I think she should be okay coming home that evening? The day after the surgery my boyfriend is going to go into work late and I am going to come home early so that she will only be alone for 3 hours. Do you think this is too long to be home alone? Maybe I'll have my boyfriend bring her to the neighbor's house while we're gone those 3 hours, just to have a set of eyes on her.

Thanks again everyone for all your insight. I'll let ya'll know how it goes!
~Holly

·
Registered
3,815 Posts
Hi Selena, the time in surgery will vary not just from doctor to doctor but also what is going on when the doctor begins the procedure. He/She won't be able to tell you exactly how much time it will take, but you can ask how long the procedure "normally" takes for the doctor. This way you don't offend the doctor by implying that they should be doing it faster, etc... Also, when you mention things on that list, don't mention specific drugs to the doctor as different doctors have preferences of what they use. It does sound like the vet you are using is a great vet and is doing everything right.

In terms of coming home the same day, many vets prefer to keep the animal overnight to ensure a full nights cage rest. This is to prevent disruption of the sutures and trauma that might cause internal bleeding. Doctors and techs are very keen to any negative symptoms so pain management during this time is also critical. I would recommend it if it is an option. I'm not sure how the clinic operates that you are taking her to, but although operations are scheduled at certain times, doctors perform them in order of priority (a TPLO before a spay, spay before a dental). So it's unlikely that the spay will happen exactly when its scheduled. If you are planning to bring her home the same day, its okay if she's alone for a small period of time, in fact it is probably better so that things are quiet and she's not excited. The most important thing is that she doesn't move around much and that she is eating and healing properly. I would actually be in favor of leaving her alone for 3 hours versus taking her to a neighbors (who will probably want to touch her and play with her, etc...).

Good luck! This is always such a nervous time for us Chi owners!

-Nate

Sklarsen - it is steep, but they are board certified, the quality of care is top notch, and our hospital caters to the Santa Monica/Beverly Hills/BelAir population. Most of the plastic surgery our clients have had is cheap in comparison =)

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
:wave: Thank you for your thoughts. I will definitely keep it all in mind when I talk to the vet tomorrow. (Good point about not offending the doctor, with me not being familiar with the jargon, I could easily offend him by quizzing him on his profession.)

I'll be sure Selena gets lots of R&R post surgery, which could be tough cause she's an energetic little girl.

whew, stressful, yeah! I'm not usually the stressful type but all this surgery talk gives me butterflies :(

Thanks again,
Holly

·
Registered
10 Posts
I'm getting ready to have my baby spayed this week. This thread has been greatly informative. Thanks all for so much great info!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts