Chihuahua People Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since Taco has been at our house, every now and then he coughs, sounds like he has a hairball. (Actually sounds like a goose honking). In every other way he is perfectly healthy. His appetite is good, still super playful and nosey.

It just sounds really awful. Should I take him to the vet?

·
Premium Member
5,887 Posts
When we rescued mojo, he did this all the time for a couple of weeks bc I think he was a little nervous. Now he only does it when he gets super excited. I think it's called a reverse sneeze. I would suggest just rubbing the front of his neck, this worked to stop mojo!

·
Registered
2,480 Posts
It's called "reverse sneezing". Both of my tinies do it, usually daily - as said, either rub front of throat firmly downwards stroking, or cover nose for a second or two, either way usually stops it for them.

It's no major health issue or drama, although I've always wondered why it's predominantly the "tinies" of certain breeds that do it - my tiny mini foxie used to do it too.

·
Registered
5,776 Posts
If you google "reverse sneezing" you can find more information about it. It is relatively normal for Chis. As long as it is controlled and not too bad, it's okay. I'd look for videos on YouTube and articles on the Internet. I am on my phone or I would do it for you. Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using PG Free

·
Registered
386 Posts
Khorra just started doing this. She will just be laying on me sleeping and then she will do this a few times, then when it stops she just goes back to sleep. I was getting worried about it, but then I found this thread and feel a bit better.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.