Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
683 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My girl has a little coughing problem, i have noticed it ever since i've had her but it only happened maybe one or two times now it happens almost everyday - its like a doggie cough, she doesnt look like she's distressed breathing or nefing. It seems to happen if she eats to fast, or gets overly excited - does anyone know what this could be and if it is normal - or do i have to be alarmed and take her to the vets?

Plz help

·
Banned
9,271 Posts
this sounds like reverse sneezing which is common in chis especially when excited or after drinking or eating try picking her uip and rubbing her throat in a downwards motion and it should stop :wave:

·
Registered
683 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sneezing even though it sounds like a cough? It seems a little strange - i dont have to rub her throat as she stops it after a few seconds or so, but if she cant stop one time i will certainly try that thanks

·
Registered
7,716 Posts
my dogs make a yack sound when they drink water that's either too cold or they dtink it to fast. some dogs do it when they are walking on a leash and they pull too hard. it's not a reverse sneeze i think it's something to do with the collapsed trachea. but i talked to the vet about my dogs and he said they don't ahve that they are just weird lol. (no one take offense to what he said about the dogs lol he jokes with me all the time aobut themand has said a lot worse ;) but it's all in fun and we used to work together, he's my mentor.. just had to clear that up) but when they are doing it after they drink (sometimes eat too) and when i come home and it's a day they decide they like me they will occasionally make a cough like sound amongst all the barking and excitement....then it's fine and not to worry about it. pulling on the leash is the red flag. chiwi did it yesterday actually, i forgot what we were doing but i was holding her and she made the sound and i put my hand under her mouth cause i thought she ws gonna vomit... yikes the things we do for our babies....

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
Zeus will do this if he gets too excited or he eats his food too fast. He use to do it when I walked him on a collar. I walk him on a halter now and he's fine.

·
Registered
6,393 Posts
All my girls do the collapsing trachea 'thing'.When Rosie has a drink of water she does it ,i say ' has the water got bones in it, Rosie'.Sully can do it anytime and gets like she is going flat ,Fynn is less frequent.I rub their throats or blow gently into their noses usually stops within a few seconds.

·
Registered
275 Posts
yes sullsmum is right its not coughing, most chihuahuas have it all of ours did that, some more than others. our breeder told us to put slight pressure on the throat, but i find it passes if you stroke the neck downwards, apparently it helps them re-swallow i think the 'trochea' (? i think thats what theyre supposed to be re-swallowwing!)

·
Registered
4,425 Posts
Cooper gives a hearty "hicckkkaaaccckkk" after he drinks water. I've always thought maybe some went up his nose or he just drank too fast. He does the same after eating dinner sometimes.

·
Registered
7,716 Posts
i think some are getting the trachea thing and reverse sneezing and the haaaaackkkkk cough noise confused. i believe what she is describing is just a yack cough and it's over and done with as soon as it happens, whereas the trachea thing is a constant sough type thing that usually happens when pressure is put on the throat (like walking with a leash and collar) and the reverse sneeze sounds like a goose honk or like your dog is exploding and it goes from anywhere from a minute to a few minutes......

·
Registered
683 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
maybe it is a cold because last night she was coughing in her bed - i think there could be something wrong with her - there's no pressure on her neck i took her collor off.

·
Registered
3,815 Posts
Has she been around other dogs recently? Is she vaccinated for Distemper and Bordatella? Upper respiratory infections can also increase frequency of reverse sneezing in small dogs due to the inflammation of the soft pallet. If your dog is coughing in addition to the reverse sneeze, definately get it checked out before an upper respiratory infection migrates to the lungs.

-Nate

1 - 13 of 13 Posts