Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How do you know why your dogs coughing. My little chichi has been coughing quite a bit today. I do tend to get worried easy. And she will cough from time to time but it seems to be more today. I had her at the vet about a month ago for a check up and her recheck for her heartworms and it came back negative. And I had mention to the vet that she coughs from time to time and she said her lungs sounded clear and that some small trachea dogs cough..dunno if thats true... So what should I do. I do tend to run to the vet but do I really need to or is it something I can do for her at home..Could she have allergies...Ive had a bit of a cold...could she have gotten a cold from me...she is wherever I am. Can dogs get colds and coughs like we do and if so what can I do to help her. I read somewhere you can give dogs Robitusson DM i think but how do you know if thats what she needs and how much would you give she is 11 pounds. Or if she is havin allergies can she get ben edryl and if so how much.??? Sorry for the ramblin not sure what to do.. My vet isnt in on Wed...I could take her to the other vet I have used but he will wanna run every test and charge me a fortune thats why I dont use them that much anymore. She is eating and playing the same as always. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Lisa
New Jersey

__._,_.___

·
Registered
128 Posts
She could definitely have allergies...I know here (Indiana) that the pollen count was at 11.8 on a scale that only goes up to 12 recently, so both my allergies and Chip's were going insane. Dogs CAN have children's benedryl, but if I remember correctly my vet said half a tablet a few times a day (3 or 4).

Chip will occasionally cough once or twice after having zoomies- has she been exercising more today?

Dogs can get colds, but not from humans.

Do you smoke? Smoke can irritate the nasal passages and throats of dogs just like humans. You may want to get an air purifier for your home if you or anyone else does.

You CAN give children's robitussin to dogs, but for a chihuahua they'd only need about 1/2 a tsp.

Hope this helps!

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ok someone just asked me if she was vacinated from kennel cough...She isnt...how would she get that when she hasnt been anywhere but home and with my other dogs??? Ok im really getting worried now:(

·
Registered
128 Posts
If she has kennel cough, you can take her in for antibiotics if the symptoms are very bad, but otherwise it'll clear up on its own and isn't something that would need an emergency vet or absolute immediate treatment.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts