Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
15,323 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just noticed yesterday that Buster is licking his rear alot. I saw today that one side of his um, anus, is swollen. When they need anal sacs emptied could only one need it? And does anyone know if they get really swollen on the outside?

I am going to take him to the vet's tommorow but was just curious. :wave:

·
Registered
7,716 Posts
most likely the anal gland is impacted if you notice it from the outside. it needs emptying (yes only one side can be more full than the other.) it's hard for me to tell by just a description though, so best bet is get him to a vet. if it is impacted he'll go on antibiotics most likely.

·
Registered
4,425 Posts
sounds like anal sac to me. When you lift his tail up above his back, does it seem like a little bump right there? And one can get impacted - and almost always, if it's not expressed, the other one will get impacted as well.

If you can handle smells like baby poop, buring oil and skunk scent all rolled into one, you might get them to show you how they do it so you can do it at home in the future and save some $$.

If not, I wouldn't suggest you being in the room for that procedure.

·
Registered
15,323 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Oh wow poor Buster. :( It looks purplish like it's swollen and it's really bothering him. Last I was at the vet was a couple months ago and they fully checked the boys out then but if it's impacted then that means he's had this problem for a while huh?

It's just that this thing has grown today. It's even bigger now then when I first posted this.

·
Registered
7,716 Posts
when my mom's dog trinket gets that her's actually errupts and leaves a nasty open sore. since she is so furry you don't notice anybumps or anything, then you see an oozy sore. and she's a nasty mean little dog so it's not like you can just go stick your finger in her butt and empty the anal sacs. oh no. it has to be done when she gets put under for her shave down. lately though we haven't had the problem with her. thankfully! cause putting the ointment on a mean nasty lil dog is hard! sometimes it doesn't take long for a full gland to become infected and impacted. some dogs are just prone to it, our muphin was and we had the sacs removed becasue of all the problems she was having with them.

·
Registered
15,323 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
This doesn't sound good. :(

Cooper, it is VERY noticeable but like I said it has only grown in today. It actually looks like a spider bite. :? So I'm sure he is going to need antibiotics like Mandy said.

I just feel bad, I wish I could have caught it before it got like this. :cry: Obviously he's had the problem for a while if it's this bad.

·
Registered
15,323 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I just got done showing Mandy a pic through PM, I didn't want to gross others out :lol: and she said it looks like the anal sac thing. So we're off to the vet tommorow to get him all fixed up.

O.k. another question, even if they haven't had problems with their anal things before should I be getting them emptied anyway?

·
Registered
9,363 Posts
Yes this is what happened to Poco but with his long butt hair I didn't notice it just noticed he was acting funny and over night the thing burst he's fine now $200 later but I certainly look at his hiney more :shock: A mothers love :lol:

·
Registered
4,425 Posts
I've never had Cooper's done... we had a chi for 21 years and the anal sac thing was never brought up once.

I do know he "expressed himself" on the vet during an exam while the fecal sample was taken... I can still smell that horrid smell. Ick. But my vet has never suggested he be brought in on a regular basis to have it done.

·
Registered
15,323 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
My vet has never mentioned it either that's why I was asking. Maybe now that he has had an experience with this problem they'll suggest it? Well, I'll see tommorow. :)

·
Registered
2,046 Posts
yep i take my chi once in a while to the groomer so they can bathe her and clean her anal sacs but if you go to petsmart you need to tell them when you drop your dog off otherwise they won't do it.other grooming places usually do this when they get a bath so you won't need to tell them just ask beforehand.Usually dogs will do the butt rub on the carpet that is a sign they need their anal sacs cleaned.

·
Registered
15,323 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
He is scooting his rear today. I wish he would have started days ago, when it was first bothering him!!! :x Now it is already big and sore.

·
Registered
6,015 Posts
Poor Buster...hopefully he will get immediate relief when the gland is expressed. Let us know how he makes out tomorrow...we will all be thinking of him.

·
Registered
4,920 Posts
Ah poor Buster Hope he feels much better after his vet trip. Auggie has never had a problem and I was hoping if by a certain age they didn't then maybe they never would. I have forgotten how old Buster is ?

1 - 20 of 67 Posts