Chihuahua People Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Chloe has been doing really well with crate training. A couple of nights ago I covered her crate to make it a little more cozy and to keep the warmth in. She cried for her usual 10minutes and then settled down. My bf says it's mean to isolate her like that but I would think it would be more settling especially since her crate is in the living room where she can see us, the TV is on and usually a light or two. So my question is how many (if any) of you cover your Chi's crates?

·
Registered
59 Posts
I Have had Candy for about 3 weeks, and she is 3 months minus 4 days. And just a few days ago I started covering her cage to make it more cozy. It really didn't make a difference in her behavior. She still wakes up one time throughout the night (most nights anyway) ... But I do have her cage right next to my bed, so she is actually facing me (the opening is facing me...)

·
Registered
370 Posts
:hello1:they say that a covered crate is like a den in the wild.i think u should cover 3 sides n the top of the crate n leave the front side open-like a den.:D:D:D

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
I covered 3 sides when I had Gretel in the crate. I don't crate them anymore, but when I did it helped hold the heat in and she felt more secure. I left the side facing the wall open so she couldn't see anything to scare her in the night but she still had oxygen supply :]

It's good especially if you live in a cooler climate, we keep our thermostat on 70 at night so it gets a little chilly for chihuahuas.

·
Administrator
6,452 Posts
When Zoey was in her crate and still today I have 3 sides covered and leave the door open. Seems more cozy and den like

·
Registered
3,723 Posts
I don't cover my crates. Twiggy goes under her blanket which she takes out of her bed and puts on the floor by the locked door. Marmalade gets too hot so just lays on her bed. Isis has a blanket in with her but it's been so hot she hasn't used it yet.

·
Registered
227 Posts
We cover poppys crate 3 sides during the day, at night when she goes to bed we cover completely. She is always quiet through the night but then that's what we have done since her first night with us.

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
I don't cover the crates, but I do have two crates that are more like dens, and Finn likes the den-variety. I think a lot of it just depends on the dog and his/her comfort level. Mine sleep in a Chi room, except for the alpha female, so I think they like to see each other.

·
Registered
3,287 Posts
I just recently starte covering Angel's crate at night. One night it was really cold, and right after I got into bed, I could hear him banging around in his crate, which was unusual. So, I draped a towel over the top and sides, leaving the front open. He settled and went to sleep. He wears a sweater at night when its cold, but I think the towel helps keep it warmer for him. In fact, last night was chilly at 10pm when we we usually let them outside for the night. Normally, when we open the door for Susie, he jumps and runs. Not last night!! He lifted his head, then snuggled back into my lap!!

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I leave Chloe's crate covered on 3 side during the day while she goes in and out but at night I have been covering it completely. She seems to enjoy the privacy and I think it helps her to understand that it's bed time. Thank you all for your responses!! They were greatly appreciated! :)

·
Banned
5,610 Posts
When Odie slept in her crate, we covered almost all of it, except for a little bit at the bottom of the door. I think it helped because when she could see what was going on, she wouldn't sleep. The (light) blanket told her it was bedtime.

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
I have an open crate that Diesel and Gracie stay in during the day while we're at work, but at night, only Diesel gets crated - he's still being house trained. It is covered on 3 sides, and right beside my bed...Not so much as a whimper when I put him inside and tell him 'night night'...Of course, he does have Gracie's favourite teddy bear waiting inside for him, and a snuggle sack!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts