Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My Bitsie Belle is 5 months old. I've had her since she was 3 months old.
She gets along fine with my 5 yr. old Pom.. but she cowers and runs to her bed when anyone walks into the room (even myself) When you try to coax her out of her bed she wags her tail and acts like she wants to come to you, but she doesn't. The only time she runs to me is when I sit in my chair and she wants to get in it with me. She has never been mistreated...Any suggestions.:confused:

·
Banned
6,940 Posts
Can you coax her to you with treats? It sounds like she still might be a little unsure, or very submissive. My Ivy doesn't come to us at all but she was olderish when we got her. We are still teaching her to come to us and we use treats to do that so she has positive association with it.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks

I will try it with the treats...I gave her a french frie tonight at dinner
and she came for it. Thanks for the reply!

·
Registered
7,558 Posts
try to choose a very special, very tasty treat just for training. my dogs really love
Zukes mini natural chicken treats. they smell pretty strong to me, but these dogs will
do about anything to get one :D
You can put a couple of Zukes in a cup of dog food and seal it up for a day.
Then, you can bait her with just the dog food and she won't get sick from too
many treats at a time :) Just remember to reduce her daily meals by how much
you feed at training.

·
Registered
2,206 Posts
Tango does something like this too. He has a thing about being approached by anyone who's standing up. It's actually kind of funny. I'm at one end of the hall and he's at the other, and he's standing there, on full alert, just waiting to see what I'm going to do. If I walk towards him, he'll run. If I squat down, he comes FLYING down the hall at full speed and leaps into my lap. :D Or I can just go sit on the couch or in my computer chair, and he'll jump into my lap as soon as I'm sitting down. If I corner him, he will just cower, and sometimes shake, but then as soon as I pick him up he's loving and sweet and completely back to normal. I've even tried holding out treats to him while standing, and though he might edge a bit closer, he still won't come to me, which is really something, because he's VERY food motivated.

I don't know why he does this, he's never been mistreated by me in ANY way. He was a rescue at 7 months so I've always assumed it's something in his past. And just btw I try hard to not put him in situations where he feels so afraid that he's going to cower. Sometimes it's impossible to avoid, but I try anyway.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts