Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
5,542 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think i mentioned not too long ago that Finn was a pooping machine. Well I am seriously wondering if i'm overfeeding. He is on this :
Taste of the Wild : Products : Dogs : Dry Food : High Prairie Canine Formula
and eats about 1/8 c. 3 x a day. I am tired of all the poop cleanup. Now I figured it was because he was a puppy because i think leila pooped a lot as a baby too but this is driving me nuts. This morning i woke up to like 3 or 4 terds and a pile that was a bit soft. Then later today there were like 2 more and another pile that he had stepped in :rolleyes:
So he and leila got baths again today. lol
Am i overfeeding? Is this normal?

·
Registered
873 Posts
Daisy only poops once at night. On the occasional late night she doesn't poop till morning. I'd say she only goes about 3-4 times during the day though.
Shes a bit older than Finn though.

·
Read Only
1,949 Posts
Lion pooped A LOT up until a few months ago, and I swear Penny poops every few hours, especially at night! They stop eating way before bed time, but she just keeps having to go. It must be a puppy thing?

·
Registered
1,708 Posts
I don't know. When Roxy was as young as Finn, I don't remember her pooping THAT much. She ALWAYS poops as soon as she goes out in the morning. Then once at night for sure before bed. And then sometimes once during the day, occasionally twice! I don't think her pooping habits changed much from when she was a wee baby until now though either. But, we also feed them different foods. So maybe it's just the type of food you're feeding. OR .. maybe he's just a typical boy!! :laughing1: :pottytrain5:

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
I remember Lincoln Pooping just as much and Bijoux is at least 2-3 times a day i'd say.

As dogs get older they seem to decide they like holding it in or somthing I find.

·
Registered
4,652 Posts
If he's pooping more than 3 times a day you're over feeding....so I'd say you're over feeding just a bit. :) Try cutting back a bit & see what happens & monitor his weight as well.

·
Registered
5,542 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
If he's pooping more than 3 times a day you're over feeding....so I'd say you're over feeding just a bit. :) Try cutting back a bit & see what happens & monitor his weight as well.
oh yeah def. more than that. I've been giving him 3/8 day divided into 3 meals. I figured that was ok but maybe it's tooooo much!

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
Lacey poops after each meal. I feed her 4x a day so she poops 4x a day ;) but she is Raw fed...1/2oz each meal....so Im no help with kibble :confused:

·
Registered
2,206 Posts
How much does Finn weigh? I realize he's still a puppy, but his weight versus his food versus his age would help determine if he's being fed too much. Both Tango and Jazz are under 4 lbs, and as adults they get a total of 1/4 cup food each daily, for some kind of frame of reference.

The other thing, on his poops? Both Tango and Jazz eat a high quality grain free kibble which means their poop is virtually odor free, and there's not a lot of it. But I've noticed that it often looks like more than it really is, because it doesn't usually come out in one long turd (and just as an aside.....OMG!! :pukeright: the things we discuss here lol!!!:laughing9:) but in several smaller lumps, so it LOOKS like more than it actually is. That, and they both travel when they poop......Tango in one tiny little circle, Jazz in a much wider one, so the poop's spread out over an area, again making it seem like more than it is.

I wonder if that might be a Finn thing too, which would also make his poop seem like more than it already is.

·
Registered
5,542 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
How much does Finn weigh? I realize he's still a puppy, but his weight versus his food versus his age would help determine if he's being fed too much. Both Tango and Jazz are under 4 lbs, and as adults they get a total of 1/4 cup food each daily, for some kind of frame of reference.

The other thing, on his poops? Both Tango and Jazz eat a high quality grain free kibble which means their poop is virtually odor free, and there's not a lot of it. But I've noticed that it often looks like more than it really is, because it doesn't usually come out in one long turd (and just as an aside.....OMG!! :pukeright: the things we discuss here lol!!!:laughing9:) but in several smaller lumps, so it LOOKS like more than it actually is. That, and they both travel when they poop......Tango in one tiny little circle, Jazz in a much wider one, so the poop's spread out over an area, again making it seem like more than it is.

I wonder if that might be a Finn thing too, which would also make his poop seem like more than it already is.
:laughing9: hahaha, yeah we can discuss anything here that's whats so great about it!! :)
Well he does space it out sometimes but still it's a decent amt. and several times a day ( like i'd guess 5,6 times a day!?) so that's allllotta crap!! :rolleyes:
Finn is 3 months old today! He was eating 1/8 c. 3 x a day. I did give him a tiny bit less yesterday but only a diff. of maybe 10 or so kibbles.
He is eating this: Taste of the Wild : Products : Dogs : Dry Food : High Prairie Canine Formula
both he and leila eat that. At last check when he got his shots which was june 21 he was 2 lb 5oz

·
Registered
946 Posts
mine all poo different schedules...I have a anywhere from a once a day girl to a boy who poo's 3-4 x day (she's a year, he's 8mo's), then a couple boys who go 2x day. I raw feed so the poo's are small and I can easily change the consistency with what I am feeding. I would watch the quantity of whats going in to the desired weight of your pup & if that's good maybe consider the food being aggravating to the system & changing it up with some other kind. Good luck:)

·
Registered
2,206 Posts
Just to add to what I've already said, both Tango and Jazz typically poop twice a day, once in the morning shortly after I've gotten up but before I feed them, and then again when I get home from work, usually before they're fed in the evening. Jazz is crated during the day, Tango isn't, and sometimes Tango will have pooped by the time I get home. He appears to sleep while I'm at work, so I think if something disturbs him before I get home, he might pee and poop then go back to sleep till I arrive. Occasionally, one or the other of them will poop again mid evening, and I think that has more to do with the occasional extra treats than anything else. But usually they're pretty consistent....seems like they like to eliminate about 10 - 12 hours after they've eaten.

·
Registered
477 Posts
Lavender Chihuahua and Samantha Yorkie weigh the same, six pounds, but Samantha poops a lot more. Samantha eats a little bit more. Samantha Yorkie poops more than my 12-pound Bichon, Cosmo. All of them are very healthy and don't have any medical issues. I think it's just the difference in dogs!

Jeanette

·
Registered
2,206 Posts
Lavender Chihuahua and Samantha Yorkie weigh the same, six pounds, but Samantha poops a lot more. Samantha eats a little bit more. Samantha Yorkie poops more than my 12-pound Bichon, Cosmo. All of them are very healthy and don't have any medical issues. I think it's just the difference in dogs!

Jeanette
I think you're right. What you feed, how much, and how often obviously plays a part in your dogs' elimination, and while it's a large part, it's not the ONLY part. I can relate to the question by thinking of my family. I have 5 children, all adults now, but as babies, and as kids and adults living at home, their bathroom habits were all different. And this was regardless of the fact that they were eating the same food, in approximately the same quantities (the boys anyway...they all ate like horses lol! versus my daughter who ate like a bird) and prepared the same way.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts