Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Normally Bailey doesn't stay in her crate for more than an hour. But for the next couple weeks she might have to. My dad will be here but he is not able to really babysit her. I leave for work at 6am and will be home at 10am. I worry...do I need to?? That's 4 hours!!

·
Registered
3,235 Posts
I ended up having to leave Amberleah for 4 hours yesterday, I went to pick my husband up at work and he had to go back out to deliver someone some medical equipment. it is half hour drive that I already did twice that day. So I didn't go home to have to turn around go back again . I was so worried but she was just fine. I feed her played a while and she went her self back in and went to sleep.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Don't worry about it at ALL. :) 4 hours is nothing. She will sleep during that time. Try to take her for a quick walk in the morning when you get up, and then take her for another one when you get back, and she will be 100% fine. Some of us have to work full-time and leave out chis longer with no terrible consequences. :)

Good luck!

·
Registered
946 Posts
I am looking at different crate options. Can anyone let me know their favorites/preferences...this will be for sleeping and the occasional few hours during the day if I can't take them with me....I have 4 and each will be in their own crate. Their ages range from 1yr to 6mo, and they all get along well, but don't think I'll trust an Xpen and them together when I'm not around. Thx

·
Registered
2,206 Posts
I am looking at different crate options. Can anyone let me know their favorites/preferences...this will be for sleeping and the occasional few hours during the day if I can't take them with me....I have 4 and each will be in their own crate. Their ages range from 1yr to 6mo, and they all get along well, but don't think I'll trust an Xpen and them together when I'm not around. Thx
I answered this question for you on your "sleeping arrangements" thread.

Here, he's my answer again:
The crates I have for my guys are the smallest ones made, I think. Here, have a link:

Amazon.com: I Crate Single Door - 22" L x 13" W x 16" H: Kitchen & Dining

That's the exact crate I have for my two. I cover the crates with a blanket so they're den-like, and have a crate mat and their favorite snuggle blanket in there for them. You don't want a crate too big or they might get the idea it's OK to pee in one corner of it while still having it be their den/safe space.

·
Registered
2,206 Posts
Normally Bailey doesn't stay in her crate for more than an hour. But for the next couple weeks she might have to. My dad will be here but he is not able to really babysit her. I leave for work at 6am and will be home at 10am. I worry...do I need to?? That's 4 hours!!

Because of my work schedule, Jazz is sometimes crated for up to 8 hours at a time. I make sure she's peed and pooped before I crate her for the day, and she also gets breakfast before I leave. I worked up to that amount of time gradually, and she's completely fine when she's crated for that long. All indications are that she sleeps the whole time.

There have even been two occasions when I was detained after work, unexpectedly and unavoidably, and she was in her crate for 11 - 12 hours straight. :( I came home expecting to find her wallowing around in her pee and poop, but she was a trooper. She was DESPERATE to go potty when I finally let her out, but she was completely fine and her crate was unsoiled.

You don't say how old your dog is, or how acclimated she is to her crate. If she's only ever been crated for an hour at a time, going for 4 hours might be a big rough. But if you don't have time to gradually work up to that, and just have to go straight to the 4 hour stretch, the worst that will happen is that she might pee in her crate. Just make sure she's gone potty before you leave, and if you can give her some exercise as well, so much the better. That way she will probably just sleep through your absence.

·
Registered
946 Posts
Thx Ronni! I put it in my shopping cart yesterday, but haven't ordered. I started shopping my catalogues this A.M. just to see the nylon take downs. My mom uses these for her shelties and loves them. They are a lot more $$ though, and I really don't know how long I will keep them up...with 4, it take up a lot of bedroom space! Are the metal ones at Amazon noisy at all (my large ones for the border collies were)? I'm thinking of that bottom crate pan... :)

·
Registered
2,206 Posts
Thx Ronni! I put it in my shopping cart yesterday, but haven't ordered. I started shopping my catalogues this A.M. just to see the nylon take downs. My mom uses these for her shelties and loves them. They are a lot more $$ though, and I really don't know how long I will keep them up...with 4, it take up a lot of bedroom space! Are the metal ones at Amazon noisy at all (my large ones for the border collies were)? I'm thinking of that bottom crate pan... :)
Um....noisy? :confused: I'm seriously trying to think how on EARTH they could be noisy lol! I have a thick crate mat on top of that crate pan, and a snuggle blanket (which they burrow into when they're crated) on top of that. There's zero noise. The loudest sound coming from the crate is when I slide the lock open or closed. I'm thinking the collies, being so much heavier than a little chi, maybe made the crate pan slide around some and that made noise? With the barrier of just the thick crate mat between the pan and the dog, there's no motion whatever of the pan = no noise.

·
Registered
946 Posts
Excellent! I will get them on order :) Did you get your crate pad from Amazon too? My old ones are great but too big...and yes, the Border being larger made more noise (and their crates are 12 years old--much heavier than todays lighter weight ones I've seen). Funny story though....I got out the big crate and put my one little guy in it at work thinking it would be more like a play pen...well he jumped up & down like a kangaroo on his back feet making soooo much noise....what a disaster.

·
Registered
2,206 Posts
Excellent! I will get them on order :) Did you get your crate pad from Amazon too? My old ones are great but too big...and yes, the Border being larger made more noise (and their crates are 12 years old--much heavier than todays lighter weight ones I've seen). Funny story though....I got out the big crate and put my one little guy in it at work thinking it would be more like a play pen...well he jumped up & down like a kangaroo on his back feet making soooo much noise....what a disaster.
I didn't get the crates or the pads from Amazon. I got Tango's crate from PetsMart, and later around the time when I rescued Jazz, I found hers, completely by accident and VERY discounted, and my local Marshalls!

Also, I don't use typical crate pads. I don't like them because they're too thin (in my opinion.) I use small oval cat mats....lemme see if I can find what Im talking about.......

Grreat Choice™ Plush Bolster Pet Bed - Beds - Beds - PetSmart

That's not exactly it, but close enough. The bolster on the ones I use (I bought them from Walmart) isn't quite as thick. And when those are in the wash, or I just feel like a change, I use two very small rectangular dog beds, which fit perfectly in their crates.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts