Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
602 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What size crate do you use for your dogs, I have 2 chihuahuas (6 and 4 lbs ) and currently they sleep together in a 36 inch crate!!!HUGE :nshocked2: ..anyway, I'm moving into a new place and this crate is just too big! What size do you think is appropriate for 2 to stay in while I'm at work, and what do you currently keep your babies in?
Thanks!
Melissa

·
Registered
15,323 Posts
I don't use a crate for my boys but I have always heard they should be big enough for them to stand, stretch and turn around in and that's about it. Since you are keeping 2 in one crate, I'm guessing it would need to be a bit bigger?

I love that pic in your siggy, they are beautiful. :love5:

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
I think once they're crate trained it doesn't matter how big the crate is (as long as it's not too small, that is). I would just use whatever size is big enough for them to both be comfortable but also small enough for your new place. Sorry, I guess that's not a very specific answer, huh...

I can tell you that the crate I use is bigger than necessary, but I don't know the dimensions off hand.

·
Registered
602 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes, I just hate to take them down to something so small , they don't pee in it anymore, as they are nearly a year old. So, they can have room to move around, but I just cant have something so big out all the time. Do you think a 24 inch would be big enough for them both to be comfortable? :confused:

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
I just checked my crate and apparently it's 24", but like I said it's bigger than I need for just one small chi. I take up some of the extra space with a thick bed I stuck in there though.

I can't really say if it would a good size for your two or not...I guess it depends on whether you would like there to be any extra room for them to have some toys or food in there. If they will just be sleeping in there though, like mine does (he won't eat or play with any toys inside his crate for some reason), then I would think it might work. But what do I know...it's hard to say without being able to see them in it. Maybe you can just buy one and try it, and then exchange it for one size up if it doesn't work out. :dontknow:

·
Registered
602 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you so much!
No, I don't keep food or anything in there, just the crate pad and their blankies, and whatever baby they wanted to drag in there that day.
I'm just going to have to try it out and see. This 36" inch one is just too big..
considering I can get in it! LOL And the next size down, is a 30"..and just going down 6 inches is kinda pointless. Oh well.. I shall see!! Thank you all again!! :D

·
Registered
66 Posts
we bought a gate, and sectioned of a room, which works well. Mind you, i'm in HK and our room is probably the same size as your big crate...lol

1 - 7 of 7 Posts