Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do you guys have tiny crates for your Chis?

Chi Chi has quite a big one at the mo as it was my staffies spare one, i did find one on ebay which was quite small but the lady never got back to me as to when i could collect it.

The reason im asking is Chi Chi wees or poos in his, but im wondering if its because it has too much room in it?

Hes really good and goes on the paper during the day, but tends to like to poo anywhere and everywhere, especially my staffies crate, he even pooed on my daughters school bag that was on the floor this afternoon, dirty little sod.

Any suggestions?

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
We have 3 crates - 2 large ones (Labrador size), and a small one. If I leave either of my two alone in one of the large crates they end up messing at one end and sleeping at the other, as its too big for them. If they're both in there there is far less space so they dont.

We've got a small one that is really just the size of a large cat box, and if one of them is in there then we have no accidents.

If you dont want to buy a new crate though, maybe try getting a divider for it and making it smaller that way?

·
Registered
3,356 Posts
General rule for dog crates is they need to be big enough for the dog to stand up turn around and stretch out, yet small enough that they don't have room to eliminate at one end.
Many crates come with the dividers, so you can close off one end of the crate when the pup is smaller and then make it larger as the pup grows.

That said, I know people who have large crates for mature house broken dogs.
It really depends.

·
Registered
7,637 Posts
Both mine are crates at night separately ATM but will go in together soon. Daisy has a big crate and won't mess as she's totally toilet trained lotus has a 18 inch crate which is blocked off so she only has enough room to stand up and turn around. As they get bigger I give more room as they get bigger and I know they won't mess it

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thankyou, i think i will look into getting a smaller one for now until he is house trained.

I was a little concerned as i had heard its really hard to house break chis, and we live in a flat so no garden. He has paper down in the kitchen and im taking him out every couple of hours and he does pee each time he is taken outside, only thing is hes not too keen to poo.

·
Registered
2,020 Posts
We have two small kennels for Reese and Miley. Miley sleeps in hers at night and goes in when we are out and cant watch her, but our dogs are not left alone more than a couple hours at a time. Reese used to go in his only when we were out, but now has the run of our home, we just have his kennel in case he wants to go in it for a little nap or to chew a bone in peace.
We have these kennels
MidWest iCrate Folding DogCrate - Dog.com
in 19 inch size, with these "cratewear sets" inside to make them cozy, they love them!
Pet Dreams Personalized Plush Cratewear Set - Beds - Dog - PetSmart

·
Registered
3,090 Posts
Zoey has a crate that is big enough for my golden retriever...the reason being she has to go potty several times during the night (she's on steroids), so she sleeps in the crate with a nice bed, and 1/2 the crate is newspaper or potty pad. I also have potty pads down in various spots around the house so wherever she is, she has access to a pad. That helped cut accidents down by about 90%.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts