Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hello everyone,

as you all know im collecting "blue" soon and im wondreing if anyone if anyone has any good advise about crate training??

I didn't do it with Elmo and he's nearly 8 months now and still isn't entirely toilet trained so i want to give crate training a go.

·
Registered
9,210 Posts
I highly recommend it. It helps them to learn to "hold it" and gives them a safe haven when they need to get away from it all. I know you are suppose to start them out slow, feed them in their crate and give treats etc and gradually build it up. I also know it may not go as smooth as you would like :( all dogs are different. Do not give in to the crying and praise them when they are quiet.......
let us know how everything goes OK? :)

·
Registered
327 Posts
I think it is very important that you crate train. It's the best way to house train your pup, it can also help reduce descructive behavior. Another great reason to crate train is the mobile reasons. If you have to fly with the pup, visit the vet, boarding purposes, the pup is used to the crate he should just enter without a fuss. Makes traveling so much easier.

Whatever you do-DO NOT- give in when "BLue starts to cry or whine to get out of the crate. He has to understand that you are in charged not him. I know it will break your heart and the crying might be annoying but you just cannot give in.

·
Registered
4,059 Posts
Hi,
I agree, crate training is the best way to potty train a puppy! It can be very frustrating, depending on your puppy. The key is to be consistant!!!! Keep your dog on a feeding and potty schedule! It might sound silly but keep a log of when your dog eats and when it potties (outside or inside). If you keep your dog on a feeding schedule, you will find that they will potty on pretty much a set schedule...by keeping track of the times you can figure out what times your pup will need to go outside and you will see that your pup will mess less in the house. You will need to keep track of all times your pup potties, inside or out.
Like everyone else said, feed your pup in the crate, that way they wont want to potty. Also, only give your pup enough space for it to stand up, turn around, and lie down comfortably. Too much room and your pup will potty at one end of the crate and sleep on the other. Also, you might want to keep all towls/blankets out for a while. Those things can soak up their potty and they wont learn.
Hope this helped! Good luck!
-Jessica

·
Registered
213 Posts
I plan on crate training my chi when I get her too. Andrew wasn't crate trained and he is learning ok.. but its is my hubands dog for the most part so he gets to decide what to do with him... he dosen't like him in the crate so he gives in to him and he has the crate opened into the bathroom where andrew has his water and litter box. He is only 3 1/2 months old and he is already almost reliable... He poops in there all the time but he is pees in the house pretty often. But he has gotten better. He has his good days and his bad days....

But as for "my" chi I am going to crate train her most likely. I know its harder to train a chi... atleast I have heard. . .

·
Registered
15,323 Posts
Mr. Peepers took to crate training quite easily. He had one poop in it. That was on the first day. Never again did he poop or pee in it. I think he really loves his crate. I HIGHLY recommend crates. My sister's dogs are both crate trained (one is pitbull, the other chihuahua) and they are well behaved (especially the chi). They never potty in the house or in the crates. That's why I chose to crate train Mr.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts