Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I'm new to this site & a new puppy owner. Our 13 week old Chihuahua/Terrier mix can hold it all night long, 10pm to 6-7am, but during the day while I'm at work, he doesn't. I come home every 4-5 hours, sometimes sooner, and he's already gone pee & poop in his crate. Originally we started off having him stay in the kitchen w/a baby gate, but he had a lot of room & was going to the bathroom daily, that we made it smaller. As it got smaller, he continued to go to the bathroom, this time on his blanket, not caring. We purchased a small crate, but if he sits/lays he still has about half of the back empty w/room. Every day between 7am-noon when I get there, he has gone pee & poop inside. Originally we were leaving the same items (shirts, blanket, towel) we do @ night, but he would still go. He's down to one small, thin kitchen towel. Sure enough today I got home, he had went. :( After I get home from work he will hold it, and won't always go right away, not until about 10 when he goes to bed. He goes outside every nite before bed, sleeps in a crate w/the shirts, blanket, towel & holds it. My Fiance stayed home the first 5 days we had him to train him, but obviously it didn't work. We take him out often so we never have accidents inside, just the crate. Please help! Do I need a smaller crate, what are we doing wrong?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Boy I wish I had some advice to give you. You would think that a smaller crate would have helped. Just thank God that your pup doesn't go on the floor. My pup never has an accident in her crate and can hold it all night in bed with me but I can't leave her in the house alone or in a room by herself sometimes and she has an accident even though she went outside just before I left. Good luck, I know it is frustrating.

·
Administrator
11,989 Posts
I would rule out a UTI first but if this isnt the case then you need the crate empty and see what happens. A lot of times the dog will go on things like blankets, shirts, towels, etc... because it will soak it up and they do not have to stand in the urine. Most will not urinate and defecate in their bed, but if they have been doing so and have gotten used to it then it can cause the behavior to continue. Are you feeding on a schedule? or do you leave food and water for him all day?

·
Registered
10 Posts
You don't say when are his usual times to go poo are. My dog usually goes first thing in the morning and then again later in the afternoon. Maybe since you work you are not leaving him out long enough in the mornings. Some mornings my dog will stand on the porch looking into the house and if I'm not paying attention does not even go out to the lawn. I think there were times I let her in thinking she had gone to the bathroom and she had not then of course she had an accident. After I realized what she was doing I walk her out to the yard and stay with her until she goes. Once I figured this out it helped cut down on the accidents.

·
Registered
14,441 Posts
I would go bigger, not smaller. I don't think it's fair to expect a baby to hold it for 4-5 hours. Their bladders are so small!

I would put him in an ex-pen or playpen. Put his bed/blankets on one side and pee pads or newspapers on the other side. At least he won't have to lie in her own waste until you come home again. One small kitchen towel just sounds really awful to keep a baby puppy on. :(

Once he gains some bladder/bowel control, then you can train him to hold it for longer periods. If you are feeding food and water down during the day, there's no way he's going to be to hold it.

As for going all night without going in the crate, I bet if you take all bedding out and smelled it, he is going, but it's soaking into the material. I think you are just expecting wayyyyyyyyy too much out of him.

·
Administrator
11,989 Posts
I agree with Tracy. It was late last night when I responded and I completely missed the age. I was thinking we were talking about an older Chi.

·
Registered
14,441 Posts
Many of the smaller toy breeds do not gain bladder control as quickly as large breeds so they can't physically hold it as long. And really, is it fair to them to 'have' to hold it for 5 hours?

It's similar to potty training a human baby. You wouldn't expect them to hold it and know to use the potty chair until they are physically and mentally able to do that. Certainly not a one year old, for example.

Brody wasn't reliably house trained until he was over 6 months old. Closer to 8 months.

·
Registered
4,448 Posts
Way to young to expect him to hold it long.

I'd go bigger also, so he has an area to toilet in. He's still a baby. I have a 14 week old pup here ATM and he's a loooong way off being potty trained. He already follows the others out to do his business but he's not reliable at all. He's been pee pad trained from birth practically and I still wouldn't trust him 100% to do that all the time

Be patient and give him time. Don't expect miracles from him to soon x

1 - 9 of 9 Posts