Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I'm the proud mum of 2 new pups, and I want to start their training.

Firstly, I'm wondering if they can share a crate, or if they need seperate crates. They always sleep together, and currently are curled up together in a dog bed and I was thinking they might be happier if they are in the crate together.

Secondly, I was wondering if anyone has any good links to sites with helpful crate training info. I googled it, but mainly came up with sites with people trying to sell crate training accessories instead of sites with tips and advice.

My older 2 pups have seperate crates and do well with it, but they were not litter mates, so they never had the connection that these 2 do. So for my third question...should all 3-4 crates be placed in the same room? Will this aggitate the dogs, or reinforce them socially? I want them to be as happy as possible, but do have to have them in their crates for about 4 hours a day while I'm away. (I came home yesterday to my fiances shredded shoe, and the day before to my torn apart gloves...my fiance has said that if I don't solve that problem they have to go!) I just never had the training problems with my older dogs that I'm having with these 2. Help!!!

·
Registered
9,210 Posts
How do the pups get along with the other dogs? If well then you can put them all in the same room-generally dogs want their own safe haven, yet other dogs are inseperable. Mine have sep crates but they are not do or die with each other. They are side by side and covered under one blanket. That is something you will have to decide. As far as leaving them during the day can you just gate them in the kitchen?? That is where mine are when I am not home. That way they have more space and are safe while I am not there to watch.

As far as sites I dont know offhand.......I just stuck them in there with treats, squirted with water when they squeaked and well it only took a few days ........(sounds mean but that is the jist :lol: ) You can offer the crate for short periods and work your way up. Dont use a punishment
Good luck :wave:

·
Registered
4,425 Posts
check http://www.dffl.org/tip.htm for crate training tips. Also, the video they either sell with or that comes with crates is slightly helpful.

I don't see a problem with them sleeping in the same crate though - as long as it's big enough to accomodate both pups. I would think it might be better for them so they have each other and are less likely to whine and bark due to seperation anxiety, etc.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys. I'm gonna go check out that site, and then sit down with Mark to see if he will agree to gating them in the kitchen

I appreciate your advice!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts