Chihuahua People Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i see a lot fo people on this site talking about crate training. i want my new chi to be crated at night but what about during the day when i am not here or for punishment (one or the other) how long should i leave her in the crate when i am not home or would it be better to have her in a pen and use the crate for punishment, sleep or both. thanks!

·
Registered
4,059 Posts
For right now do not use the crate as punishment. If you do you will have a chi that fears the crate and you dont want that.

I can send you a info packet on crate-training if you wish, but it will have to wait until tomorrow when I have time. :D

·
Registered
113 Posts
Angel is right, do not use the crate for punishment.
Make it as comfy as possible. If the puppy is still really little, you may want to put some paper in the front of the crate in case he/she needs to go potty when you aren't there/are asleep. There are a few theories on how to do crate training best, but what worked for me was saying "go to bed" while putting Chili in his crate and giving him a treat. Make sure the crate is clean (if you get a used one) and not too big. The first few times puppy is alone in the crate he will probably whine. You can give puppy a stuffed animal for comfort if it makes you feel better :wink:
Make sure that everytime you put puppy in the crate, you are pleasant about it. NEVER yell at him or be mad when you put him in there or he will think it is a bad place.
Remember that puppies have *very* small bladders and need to potty at least every 2 hours until 12 weeks or so. Some may go longer, some not that long. Just like a baby, puppies will whine for attention. It doesn;t mean he has to go potty or eat every time he whines.
Be persistent. Those big puppy eyes can make you feel like a heel for crating him when he wants to play with/love on you, but it's really one of the best things you can do for your puppy. If he is crated while you are gone, there is little chance of him getting hurt/tearing things up. Plus, if you ever decide to travel, he will be used to his crate and that will make traveling easier for you and him!
If I tell Chili "go to bed" he goes straight to his crate -- no treats needed. He is 6 months old, BTW and aside from the rather unusual accident, very well housebroken. Good luck. PM or email me if you need support, lol it can be hard.

·
Registered
675 Posts
Angel5218 said:
For right now do not use the crate as punishment. If you do you will have a chi that fears the crate and you dont want that.

I can send you a info packet on crate-training if you wish, but it will have to wait until tomorrow when I have time. :D
ohhhh could you send me the info as well? im going to crate train...

·
Registered
12 Posts
and me too?

Rosie is partially crate trained - we've managed to get her to go most of the time in a litter pan in the crate, but for some reason she still pees on her blankie.

Any suggestions?

Also, how can I get her to associate that if she needs to go that she goes into her crate and in her litter instead of going on the floor?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Angel5218 said:

i would love info on crate training. this is my first dog ever and i can use all the help i can get! thanks for everyones support.

·
Registered
26 Posts
When I was litter box training my dog, if she went on the floor I would just say "no" and take her to the litter box. Just like regular paper training. Litter box training took some time, but now she never goes outside and always uses the pan!

steph

·
Registered
47 Posts
Mine uses the litter box and seems to know what it is, but still will squat where ever she is at sometimes. Since she is so sensitive, and doesn't seem to like us much ( see my other post ) we try to scold her gently, but we cannot scoop her up and take her to the litterbox... she runs from us. I know our problem is unique, but do you have any suggestions. She also has a problem with going on the floor next to the litter box, so I have newspapers under the box and out to the sides and she goes there on purpose. This is not that bad of a problem, since i have vinyl tile(in the laundry room) but i want her to use the box, it is plenty big enough and I keep it pretty clean. By the way, she is 4 months old.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts