Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I don't have a chi yet, but have been doing lotsa reading. I think that crate training sounds like a good idea (as long as it's like a retreat/home for the dog, not a cage/punishment). Does anyone have any positive or negative experiences with crate training, or any good advice to share?

Thanks

b

·
Registered
9,210 Posts
All good..........once the dog is used to it its a blessing, sleeping with your dog is great too but after awhile it can have its drawbacks - Its a personal choice but when your animal is sick or you need to travel the dog is already used to it or maybe you just need to keep them safe while your doing something. I dont like all day crating- I gate in the kitchen but when your sleeping it gives you peace of mind. :D

·
Registered
3,815 Posts
The most difficult part of crate training you will find is the first few trials. As long as you can hold out with the crying in the beginning, you will be totally satisfied with the results. Your chi will be happier, feel more secure, and you will have peace of mind knowing they are comfortable in it while you are gone or sleeping, and safe as well.

It's also something you want to do when they are young not old and stubborn like my dogs. Trying to crate train them after they are adults is impossible for us.

·
Registered
4,512 Posts
I didn't crate train.. Gadget was so tiny when I got him(3 weeks) I didn't have the heart to put him in a crate. Plus I had to feed him every couple hours.. by the time he was bigger and eating on his own he was already in a routine and I didn't have the heart to retrain him... he is doing great...
Thank God...

I do not recommend getting any puppy that young. But I had no choice so here we are...

The good parts about getting him that young is I know exactly how he is is being treated (Very well) and I got to see all his firsts...

I think part of the easy learning things is part of getting him so young because most of the things he has learned has been really easy for him to catch on to.

Most of the crate training that I have heard about is really good...

Good luck and God bless..

1 - 5 of 5 Posts