Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have been trying to crate train my puppy Mia.
She is 10 weeks old, and i have been trying since the day i got her.
it has been about 2 weeks, and she cries so much i cant take it.
i feel so guilty hearing my baby cry like that,
and i need to sleep.
she keeps me up all night. she will cry the WHOLE night... NON STOP.
do you guys have any advice? :?

·
Registered
2,125 Posts
im a softie and cant resist a crying puppy so im no use to ask some other people who are more stronger will be able to give you advice

·
Registered
36 Posts
I'm all for crate training, especially little dogs...When I am out of the house or need to vacuum or something I know Ruby(11 weeks) is safe in her crate. I have the 24 inch large coated metal grid-type crate with her cushy bed and a small amount of food and water in it. She also sleeps in it at night. One thing that helped us is putting it in the other room so I could "resist" her crying. :) In the beginning she did cry, and as long as I knew she was pottied and safe, I felt comfortable with her whining. It took a week or so, but is was so worth it. Sounds like your Mia may take longer!

All chis are different and all owners as well, so you have to do what is comfortable for you. Lots of people sleep with their babies and give them free run of the house. For me, I think Ruby appreciates having her own safe spot when she needs some downtime.

Jen

·
Registered
2,061 Posts
Gizmo hated the crate, but loved a big laundry basket my husband got for him at Walmart. He can jump out of it now if he wishes, but he knows that would be BAD...so he doesn't...it is his little home/sanctuary/bed....I leave him home alone in it and he is fine...he sleeps... :D

It's so portable, and can be cleaned in a snap....maybe you can try that and see how it goes? I believe in crating of some kind...but some dog hate it...I know Gizmo's problem is he doesn't like to feel confined, meaning he hates something covering him up top, he likes to know he can just peer over the edge and have it be open....like a crib...hehehe

·
Registered
127 Posts
Reeses cried and barked every night for a month. It drove me crazy (the barking) but I knew that if I gave in, I would never get her crate trained.

Now she does just fine. In fact, she LOVES her crate. I think she sees it as a safe haven because if a stranger comes in she will run into her crate and then peak her head out.

·
Registered
4,425 Posts
Try putting a clock that ticks loudly in her bedding (so it's muffled) and maybe a stuffed animal about her size or a little bigger in her bed with her. The ticking will mimic a beating heart and the stuffie will give her someone to share her stories of being left all alone in the big bad world with. :D

·
Registered
897 Posts
I must have just been really lucky with Angel. She was always happy with her crate. I would hold her til she fell asleep and then transfer her to her crate along with her favorite fleece blankey. I also kept the crate in the same room with me so she knew I was there. Never really had any problems at all. Until I fell asleep on the couch with her one night. She wouldn't sleep in the crate at all after that and now sleeps with me. ;)

·
Registered
4,512 Posts
Gadget was to tiny to be put in a crate whenI first got him(3 weeks) he had a box for a bed then a bed in a luandry basket and then I made himm a pen out of those cubicle shelf things then I turned into steps with his bed and food and water and pee pad so he could get up on our bed any time he wanted.. he has slept with us most of his life... Even when he was a tiny baby I would feed him (had to bottle feed him for a while) then I would let him sleep on my chest and then he would sleep there for a while then i would put him in his bed... then when he got bigger and wanted to sleeep with us most of the night is when I made his pen into steps... he had his bed just lower than our bed.. he loved it because then he could sleep where ever he wanted... Then when we took and switched our beds and brought our kingsize bed in we took out his pen all together and now he has a window shelf under our tv and at the end of our bed.. he has his water dish there and all his bedroom toys and his blankies and his little pillows... he also has a pillow on the wall side of my pillows and a pillow in between mine and marks pillows...

I wanted to crate train him but by the time he was big enough to start training he was already into a routine and I didn't have the heart to start the crate thing.. so he is just our litlle bed hog... he sleeps where ever he wants too...

I would try a pen instead of a craate maybe she is clastaphobic<SP> I know how I feel when I am enclosed in something...

good luck and God bless

·
Registered
4,059 Posts
It might seem mean, but if she is keeping you up all night you will have to put her crate somewhere else. Its nice if they can be in the room with you but they need to learn that nightime is when they go to bed.
You are not being mean or cruel by doing this. THey are babies and are testing the waters with you. Of course they dont want to be in the crate, but they will learn that this is their bed and will learn to like it. My dogs all hated their crates and now will go into them without argument. I dont even have the close the doors anymore...they go in their crates to nap and to sleep.

Take an old t-shirt of yours and put it in the crate, that way they will have your smell to comfort them. Otherwise you just have to ignore it. Crate training is by far the best way to keep them out of harms way and to potty train them. Be strong and just keep reminding yourself that they are only crying because they want you to let them out...they are not going to hate you and they will eventually get use to it. You are not being cruel. Just think of it as your chi trying to use whatever it can think of to get their way...you have to be the alpha in their life and set the rules....right now your chi is trying to set rules for you :wink: They are smart like that 8)

·
Registered
9,210 Posts
Bindi was not crate trained until she was 7 mos!!!!!! Found out she just wanted a bigger crate - spoiled bugger, she still goes in Kemo's which is bigger yet.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts