Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3,889 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do you just let them scream until they tire themselves out? I'm babysitting a puppy and he had an accident twice today on the doormat even tho he goes outside and on a pad so I put him in a crate to start crate training him he literally is screaming his head off like he's dying! Been 20-30 mins now of non stop screaming! I've crate trained ninja and prada but they never cried or screamed!

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
Is the crate in a room where he can see you? Gracie would not stop carrying on if she could see us, so I wound up putting the crate upstairs in the extra bedroom. I only used it when we were gone to work and couldn't watch her, or when she had an accident, though. It probably wouldn't help socialize them if they were away from all the people action for extended periods of time.

·
Registered
3,889 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I had him in the kitchen but the crying was annoying so I moved him to the living room and he laid down but kept crying so I put him upstairs in my room alone with the Door shut that's when the screaming started I hear silence as i type this I think he got the jist!! Going to let him out in 15 mins to go outside! I'm not going to crate him 24/7 but he will be between potty breaks and be allowed out with my guys for a majority of the day when I go to work He has been locked in my room uncared with ninja and prada as he uses the pee pad so he will not be crated then but I would like him to be while I'm home and have days off so I can train him not sure if this will be consistent but the way my kitchen is set up I can't block him off the room thing works so far..... Screaming started again ugh I just don't wanna take him out while he's screaming so he learns

·
Registered
3,686 Posts
Puppies scream like that because in the wild when they are separated from the pack, they scream for them to find them and lead them back. They are pack animals and to be alone is very scary. One of my puppies is a screamer. He gets upset when his mom is not in the pen with him. He's getting better, but he does cry for about a half an hour. I do keep him in the same room with all of us, and yes, it does get a little annoying.

·
Registered
44 Posts
:coolwink:
1. Good idea to keep the crate in a place where the dog can see you - even though the noise is annoying. You can also try adding a special treat when you crate (like frozen tiny kong with fave treat inside, or frozen hunk of cheese or other fave treat). I found being able to see me really made a difference when I brought my little Chi girl home.
2. Earplugs are practically mandatory, to save your sanity. Home Depot sells the ones with the best noise obstruction rating, better than the drug store variety (take it from me - husband has snoring issues!) :rolleyes:

·
Registered
3,889 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hahaha I need those ear plugs for work when I'm working on the locked unit haha!

He did stop a couple of tomes but then would start back up again finally I let him out to go pee and then of course he was quiet snuggling on the couch and in bed I had a massive headache yesterday after work from working on the locked unit those old folks can drive u nuts sometimes lol I was not going to keep him in the living roombut having him in the crate looking at us isn't going Yo do any good when immat work if he starts having more accidents I realize it's a new environment than his Home but he is still a baby 4 months old. Someone peed in my bed I realized later so I may crate my guys too when I'm working I have 2 days off so going to crate him a couple times today and tmw hopefully he'll eventually get usedto it b4 he goes back to his home. Ninja loves his crate he sleeps in it all the time with the door open and he doesn't care about being locked in it either.

·
Registered
7,637 Posts
I wouldn't lock him in make it a nice place so he starts going in and out of it on his own then just shut the doer for a few decode and open when he's quiet and do it bit By bit

·
Registered
3,889 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ahhh he's so bad he peed on the door mat twice today and the one time I caught him and yelled nooooo and he ran upstairs and peed on my bed hes in the cage again screaming he also shedded my underwear! He's here til Jan 7 lol!

·
Registered
44 Posts
Sorry but I couldn't help but giggle about the knickers thing... anyway, at least he's not staying forever as others have said! I hope you found the earplugs or muffs at Home Depot! Ah well. Here's a consolation story for your entertainment.

I had a Basenji years ago, the "Barkless Dog". Worse by far. They make a noise that's more scream than howl, and three times as loud as both, when crated. The pup was shipped to us across country and the cargo people at the airport swore they could hear him all the way from Edmonton (we were in Ottawa). He was a wonderful boy, by the way, though they are way smart and very headstrong. But it was very funny that even the cargo guys described him that way, and we literally DID hear him literally half a mile before we pulled the car up at the cargo bay when we went to pick him up!

I hope my little story cheered you up a bit - and that all worked out with your noisy and destructive little guest.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts