Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,708 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This may sound stupid, but what exactly is crate training? I guess its not that I don't know what it is, I just don't know how to properly do it...

Roxy is doing well with going potty outside. I do live in PA, and we currently have 8 inches of snow and very cold temperatures at the moment, so that is definitely making it a little harder. She doesn't hate the snow as much as she used to. She'll even run around and play in it some days. She doesn't have many accidents in the house. If she does, it is usually my fault because I didn't take her out often enough throughout the day, etc. And mostly when she has an accident inside, its poo. She goes outside almost every time I take her out though. So, she knows to go outside. She just doesn't let me know when she has to go out. I guess I could eliminate the accidents by taking her outside even more than I think she needs to go. Also, I'm home from college on winter break, therefore, my (parent's) house is obviously much bigger than my apartment at school. Because of this, Roxy has a much bigger area to roam around in. I've been giving her more freedom lately as well.

So, as far as the crate training goes... am I supposed to put her in her crate when she has an accident? I don't like to use her crate as a negative thing though. I want her to always like it. She'll walk in and lay down in it every once in a while, and I don't want her to stop doing that. Is that what crate training is though?

Also, when I took her to the vet just this week, the vet said to crate train her by putting her in there to sleep at night. So crate training is also getting her used to her crate? Am I missing the point? LOL. I used to put her in her crate to sleep at night. Then, she'd usually wake up crying around 4am or 5am, and I'd take her out and let her sleep in my bed with me for the rest of the 'night'. Since she seemed to be fine every time I let her sleep with me for those few hours, I have begun not putting her in her crate at all. She's been sleeping with me for the entire night for a couple weeks now. Never once has she jumped off the bed or left me or anything. Usually shes in the exact same spot in the morning that she layed down in the night before, as long as I'm not moving around too much! :p Is this bad that I'm not crate training her at night? The vet just said it will be much easier if she's okay with a crate if she ever has to stay at the vet (which she will be when she gets her spay done in two weeks :(), or if she ever has to go to a kennel, etc. I'm torn though, because every time I do put her in her crate, she's fine. She'll whine at first, but I feel as though thats normal. I guess I should add that she is ALWAYS in her crate when I leave or no one is home. When I'm back to school next week, she'll be in her crate every time I go to class, so it's not like she'll never be in it... I just want to make sure its okay that I don't put her in it throughout the day or anything...

Ugh! SO sorry this is such a long post. I'm just trying to figure this out. I guess I'm most concerned about the crate training for the potty and how that works... ANY advice would be greatly appreciated!!! :D

·
Registered
3,090 Posts
This talks about it in general: American Dog Trainers Network -- How To Successfully Crate Train Your Puppy
Crate Training there are 2 types, crating them when you aren't home, at night, and when you can't supervise, then as soon as you get home, wake up etc you take them outside or to their potty spot. The other way is to have a super large crate with a potty pad on one end and their bed/food/water on the other, that is the way I have done with Zoey although I use a litterbox. I also have exercise pens that I use in similar fashion. We get too much snow for Zoey to go outside in the winter so I chose to crate train.

·
Registered
2,239 Posts
This talks about it in general: American Dog Trainers Network -- How To Successfully Crate Train Your Puppy
Crate Training there are 2 types, crating them when you aren't home, at night, and when you can't supervise, then as soon as you get home, wake up etc you take them outside or to their potty spot. The other way is to have a super large crate with a potty pad on one end and their bed/food/water on the other, that is the way I have done with Zoey although I use a litterbox. I also have exercise pens that I use in similar fashion. We get too much snow for Zoey to go outside in the winter so I chose to crate train.
I crate train the same way as you but I dont use litter I use peepads.

·
Registered
4 Posts
We have a 3 month old chihuahua and we want to train her to go potty outside, the problem is the average temp these days is around -20.
Is that wayyyy too freezing to take her out even if we pack her with jackets,boots etc?

·
Premium Member
56 Posts
First make sure that the crate you have or are going to buy gives your chi(s) just enough room to turn around and lie down. I have tried crate training with just a wee pad in the crate, and the other better option of a comfy bed and toys in the crate with a blanket(like a bird cage) over the crate(for quiet time).

I use the second option as i find the first option just results in chi(s) covered in pee/poo, chi eats/destroys pad and is miserable when in the crate/does not want to go in.

Instead i recommend setting up the crate like a nice little home. Put in a cozy bed and some toys, perhaps put the crate on a play pad too. Let them have free access to the crate, you will find they will like it and go in and out when they want, sleep in it, play in it. It's now their own little place.

Now that you have made it a comfortable safe place not related to unpleasant experiences they will enjoy going in rather then it being a sad place for them. Who wants to sit in an empty crate on a pee pad, not me?

So now when you go to work or go out they will have a warm safe place to rest and play until you arrive home and since dogs tend to not like to pee where they sleep they should hold it in. When you get home place them on the pee pad or outside, whatever method you prefer.

For an example here is my Chi's house...

Crate with bed, a blanket over top to pull down for quiet time, play pad, toy box and toys. Their wee pad is just to the right on the kitchen tile for quick access.

Hope this helps!
Kristina :)

·
Registered
768 Posts
First make sure that the crate you have or are going to buy gives your chi(s) just enough room to turn around and lie down. I have tried crate training with just a wee pad in the crate, and the other better option of a comfy bed and toys in the crate with a blanket(like a bird cage) over the crate(for quiet time).

I use the second option as i find the first option just results in chi(s) covered in pee/poo, chi eats/destroys pad and is miserable when in the crate/does not want to go in.

Instead i recommend setting up the crate like a nice little home. Put in a cozy bed and some toys, perhaps put the kennel on a play pad too. Let them have free access to the crate, you will find they will like it and go in and out when they want, sleep in it, play in it. It's now their own little place.

Now that you have made it a comfortable safe place not related to unpleasant experiences they will enjoy going in rather then it being a sad place for them. Who wants to sit in an empty crate on a pee pad, not me?

So now when you go to work or go out they will have a warm safe place to rest and play until you arrive home and since dogs tend to not like to pee where they sleep they should hold it in. When you get home place them on the pee pad or outside, whatever method you prefer.

For an example here is my Chi's house...

Crate with bed, a blanket over top to pull down for quiet time, play pad, toy box and toys. Their wee pad is just to the right on the kitchen tile for quick access.

Hope this helps!
Kristina :)
Kristina ur chi`s have the perfect little home!! that is so cute!!! xx

1 - 7 of 7 Posts