Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Read Only
1,949 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, I know I have posted a few threads lately, but I SWEAR this is my last question!

I take Lion to agility classes, which right now has 5 other dogs. We will soon be entering an open practice class with lots of dogs, so he will need a crate to stay in while I can't hold him. Penny will also begin classes in a few weeks on the same night, so obviously I have to put one in the crate while I am working with the other.

I looked at wire crates at PetSmart today, and they were $50 for the tiniest one. I want one large enough for them move around, so I found this on Amazon:

I am thinking I will get a blue one for Lion and a pink for Penny.

So... on to the question:

Neither of them have been in a crate before. I am worried they will freak out. What can I do to get them used to the crates before I take them to class? I don't plan on leaving them in it at home or anything.

Thanks!

·
Registered
3,686 Posts
If I have an crate out here in the dog room with a door open, it will have a dog in it within a few seconds. lol Put it on the floor open the door, put in either a bed or blankets and they will probably go sleep in it. Dogs like dens. When they're in it, zip up the door for a few minutes, then let them out. Put a few chewies in there, they will probably ignore toys, mine do, but they will sit and chew.

·
Banned
6,940 Posts
I didn't know it, but Birdie had never been crated prior to coming here at 9 months of age. So, since most breeders are really crate happy, I figured, of course she's crate trained. LMBO omg she screamed and screamed and screamed. She got so upset she threw up in her crate, pooped in her crate, and I slept through it all b'c they sleep in the other room...it was not a fun morning surprise :( BUT that said, a lot probably had to do with being in a new place with new dogs too. So now I am slowly training her to sleep in a crate by having her be in a small x-pen with a small crate inside as the only real option for "sleeping". So far so good and I hope to have her in a crate by the middle of next week sleeping just like the rest of my dogs. I am not sure you will want a 2 foot crate to bring to classes but those are really light so probably fine. I would just set it up for them in the livingroom or wherever you spend most of your time, and put them in there from time to time with a treat or chewies and let them use it as a bed. Dogs naturally gravitate toward den-like environments when they are tired so they probably won't think twice about going in it. Once they are used to it like that, they should be fine in the class environment in it.

·
Read Only
1,949 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I didn't know it, but Birdie had never been crated prior to coming here at 9 months of age. So, since most breeders are really crate happy, I figured, of course she's crate trained. LMBO omg she screamed and screamed and screamed. She got so upset she threw up in her crate, pooped in her crate, and I slept through it all b'c they sleep in the other room...it was not a fun morning surprise :( BUT that said, a lot probably had to do with being in a new place with new dogs too. So now I am slowly training her to sleep in a crate by having her be in a small x-pen with a small crate inside as the only real option for "sleeping". So far so good and I hope to have her in a crate by the middle of next week sleeping just like the rest of my dogs. I am not sure you will want a 2 foot crate to bring to classes but those are really light so probably fine.

Yeah, it looked a little big, but I thought since it can be broken down and is light it should be ok. I also thought it might be comfier than a plastic crate when we start going to shows, where Lion might have to spend a little more time inside of it. I hope they get used to it quickly!

·
Registered
19 Posts
I had the same question ...so thanks for the replies , I will do this too : ) Foster is my first "mix " breed , chihuahua and miniature pincher , lots of energy and a barker ...i will be asking a lot of questions for you professionals to answer , hope you can help me out .
thanks
F-

1 - 6 of 6 Posts