Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I remember a while back someone was having trouble with this but I can't seem to find the thread. Callie absolutly HATES her kennel. She doesn;t just cry but SCREAMS every time I put her in it. Shes also peeing in it. I've taken everything out except her toy moose and a bone but that never worked. (its not like its just when shes been there too long, I just put her in while I got in the shower and when I came back she had peed). I think I'm going to try feeding her in there (her dish fits perfect so she can't tip it over) and then maybe she will like it better though I don't think that will help the peeing cause she has peed several times right next to her dish where I usually keep it. So does anyone else have any idea? Is this just a puppy thing??

·
Registered
4,153 Posts
Mikey doesn't pee in his crate but he used to scream, I know exactly what you mean. It is in know way crying. I just refused to let him out unless I knew it was time for him to peepee. She will eventually learn to like it as hard as that is to beleive.
I can't remember either who else was having this problem.

·
Registered
4,153 Posts
I just went off of Mikey's age. When I 1st got him he was a month old so I took him out almost every hour. Yes, I woke up very often :shock: . The older he got the longer I would leave him during the night. Now he can hold it from about 10 or 11 at night till about 6 or so in the morning. Also as hard as it was I never gave into playing w/ him. If he didn't peepee I would give him a little cuddle and then back to the crate he goes.
you don't have kids right? When my boys were babies they would try and do the same thing..wake up in the middle of the night ready to play. You can't allow it. You have to let them know that you sleep at night. Just be consistent and persistent and she will get the idea.

·
Banned
9,271 Posts
I personally dont like crates why dont you try an xpen or something so she has more room - you can put a pad down her bed and touys and water and see how she likes that :wave:

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Actually I just found out I'm going to be working earlier hours (usually I'm home days and work night while my roomate is home with Callie) so with her alone for more than she usually is I do want to try something like this. All the Pens I have looked at before were very expensive so I'm going to have to get creative.

·
Registered
889 Posts
i would get an xpen. we found an xpen for 55 which is a REALLY good price. you just have to search the internet and i'm sure you can find a cheap one.

when we got zoey she wouldn't stay quiet in her crate either. we tried to keep her in there during the night but she would not have any of that. we finally gave up and only put her in there if we're going to the store or if we won't be gone for long.

it's impossible to know when she has to pee and when she wants to play during the night. so if you're going to use the crate, when she cries, take her out. REFUSE to play with her. put her down on her pad and say "go potty" or whatever phrase you use. if she doesn't go put her back in the crate. soon she'll learn that whenever she cries, that means she has to potty.

trust me, it get so much better!! :) hang in there!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts