Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
588 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just adopted a little Chi girl who was abused at home and surrendered to the local vet clinic a couple of weeks ago.

She is about 7-8months old, and just recuperated from parvo. She was completely emaciated as her previous owners were feeding her cheap food and not enough of it, and then she got Parvo on top of it (they never gave her any vaccines). She was never potty trained, allowed to go wherever, and the vet suspects she was beaten a lot from her ultra submissiveness. She is a barker (overly barker) and so I can see how bad pet owners would have hit her a lot. I, myself, feel like wringing her neck and she's only been with me today. :D Don't worry though, I would never harm an animal. I'm just saying she is THAT frustrating with the barking.

With the Parvo, she was kept in her kennel in isolation for several weeks. She wasn't allowed out of the kennel for most of that time and so she took to peeing and pooing IN her bed. She would never do it outside of it, but she would do it toward the back and then sleep in the front. It was a necessity but it has given me a little glitch with the crate training.

She WILL pee and poop in her crate. The vet allowed me to take home the little plastic tub that was her "bed" while she was there and I have put a potty pad in the bottom of it. I had taken her and put her on the potty pad several times, and she didn't go. It was time for dinner so I put her in her kennel with her food and when she was finished I put her on the pad. She sniffed around like she might go, but never did. So, I put her back in the kennel for another 15 minutes and put her on the pad again.

During that 15mins she peed in her bed. So, I took away the comfy bed and replaced it with a towel. We all played on the kitchen floor for awhile and then I put her back on her pad (repeatedly, she kept leaving it)... and nothing. So, I replaced her bed with just a towel, and left her in there for 15mins and went to put her back on the pad but she peed on the towel!

Sorry for the long winded post, it is in my nature... but here is where I really have a question. I took her towel away, and I put one of the thick knit winter sweaters that Elliot has outgrown on her and I am going to not allow her any bedding at all tonight. I feel cruel as hell doing it (I am too soft), but I think if I give her any bedding she will just go in it.

Do you think that is a good step?

Any advice on training a dog that will, indeed, pee in her sleeping space?

I really appreciate all the advice you all have given me since I have joined not long ago! I feel more secure about learning more about this breed from you all who have been there, more than once in a lot of cases. :) I'm so glad we're all Chihuahua People.

·
Registered
7,637 Posts
Do you actually have her permanently now? I know you were going to take her home for a trial run? Either way good on you for giving her a home she's gorgeous.

How bigger crate does she have? If its anything like the ones at my vets office they're rather large so can take a small - medium sized dog so massive for chihuahua. Daisy starting pooing in her bed and i had to block it off so she just had enough room to stand up and turn around... that stopped it!

In your case i would have probably done the same and put her on the bottom of the crate so if she actually goes there is nothing to mop it up and she'll be uncomfortable laying in it, and in turn hopefully won't go!! I don't think its cruel of you at all.. you're keeping her warm and trying to train her into going in the appropriate manner.

I'm wondering if theres a way to create a big areas of pee pads all together.. i don't know a lot about pee pad training as i never did it with Daisy but when i was reading up on each method i read when you start you cover a big space so they go on it and then after they start going in the same place after a few days you remove the pads and just leave one in the place they go?

Anyway my thinking of that is if you can create a place she can't get out of with her toilet area you could confine her to that straight after meals and do not let her out til she goes and do the normal WOOOHOOO good girl mummy is SOOO proud of you.

If you love her (but show her you're pack leader) i'm sure the ultra submissiveness will pass.. does she pee submissively as well? The barking you need to try and curb now or she'll keep doing it, she's only barking because she's nervous and unsure, hopefully it'll curb when she gets to know you and won't carry on for anything else.

Do we have a name yet??

Good luck, fatten her up and you really are a wonderful Chi mummy for taking her on

·
Registered
588 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Do you actually have her permanently now? I know you were going to take her home for a trial run? Either way good on you for giving her a home she's gorgeous.

How bigger crate does she have? If its anything like the ones at my vets office they're rather large so can take a small - medium sized dog so massive for chihuahua. Daisy starting pooing in her bed and i had to block it off so she just had enough room to stand up and turn around... that stopped it!
I do have her permanently. I took your guys' advice and decided to just jump in.

She doesn't have as big of a kennel as at the vets. I have her in a medium small kennel. I have a cat carrier (the next smaller size to the one she is in) that I thought of using, and I might have to switch her out for that. Do you think that will be aright for her? I don't have the exact measurements, but it is a pretty standard carrier (hard plastic crate, not a mesh).

In your case i would have probably done the same and put her on the bottom of the crate so if she actually goes there is nothing to mop it up and she'll be uncomfortable laying in it, and in turn hopefully won't go!! I don't think its cruel of you at all.. you're keeping her warm and trying to train her into going in the appropriate manner.
I gave in tonight and put a small towel in the crate with her. I'm convinced she will pee on it, but if she does then I will resign myself that she can't have a bed until she gets the hang of not pottying in it. I'm too soft, but it makes me feel better that you don't think it's too terrible.

I'm wondering if theres a way to create a big areas of pee pads all together.. i don't know a lot about pee pad training as i never did it with Daisy but when i was reading up on each method i read when you start you cover a big space so they go on it and then after they start going in the same place after a few days you remove the pads and just leave one in the place they go?

Anyway my thinking of that is if you can create a place she can't get out of with her toilet area you could confine her to that straight after meals and do not let her out til she goes and do the normal WOOOHOOO good girl mummy is SOOO proud of you.

I think I will line my bathroom in pee pads.

When I went to take I took one of Elliot's pee pads that just had one small spot on it and put it in the container for her. I put this in the bathroom next to just a pad on the floor and I took a shower with both her and Elliot in the bathroom (they're still making friends) to see if she would go on the pad if I wasn't there to distract her. When I got out, there was a little puddle on the floor next to the container... and an extra spot inside the box!!! I have tried and tried and TRIED to get Elliot to pee in a container like that and she never has before!!!! So, there is a first time for everything. :) Perhaps I can unify the two puppers in pottyhood.

Anyhow, I soaked up her pee puddle with the clean pee pad and put that in the box, and put Elliot's pad back down in the bathroom. Tomorrow I will take JUST her in there and see what she feels like.

Hehe, I STILL make a huge fuss when Elliot uses her pad. It's like throwing a party for her, and my roommates think I'm daft, but she doesn't respond well to anything but lots of praise. I know they both want to make me happy, I just have to show them WHAT makes me happy. :)

If you love her (but show her you're pack leader) i'm sure the ultra submissiveness will pass.. does she pee submissively as well? The barking you need to try and curb now or she'll keep doing it, she's only barking because she's nervous and unsure, hopefully it'll curb when she gets to know you and won't carry on for anything else.
I don't know if it is a submissive pee, but when I walked in to the isolation room where she's been staying I got her all excited and she peed a little on me. I think its just because I hyped her up, though.

When I call her, she kind of belly crawls toward me... but she doesn't seem terrified that I will hurt her. She wags her tail a bit and sometimes rolls on to her back, but she doesn't seem to be afraid. Just ultra submissive, and she's never peed while she does that (so far as I can tell).

I think she is a nervous barker, as she only barks AT something. She whines for a bit in her crate, but doesn't get terribly fussy like Elliot does. I am trying out the loud clap and "No Barking" thing to see if this helps. If not, the penny in the can thing? Elliot didn't respond well to squirt bottles, and I found out that neither does Pippa.

Do we have a name yet??

Good luck, fatten her up and you really are a wonderful Chi mummy for taking her on
:D Her name is Pippa. It just seemed to suit her.

Thank you for all your suggestions, I really appreciate the help! She's already 3.6lbs as of this morning! She has gained a whole pound in the clinic.

Daisy is a veeeerrryyy cute Chi by the way, I love her little face so much!! Oh and I updated the thread in the pictures that said "My new girl, maybe" with some pictures from the pups playing today!

·
Registered
7,637 Posts
I'll go have a look.. sounds like you have it in hand it won't take long and she'll be a pro!

I know what you mean about feelingbad.. i feel rotten leaving her for 20 minutes to do the school run ha ha

Thanks you she is gorgeous.. too licky for her own good to the point she's attacking my face as i type ha ha

·
Registered
7,637 Posts
lol i'm trying to get her to curb it when i tell her because she can wash my make up off my face she gets proper licky obsessive with me.. and licks random people who pet her!! i think she's just very loving!!

·
Registered
588 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Aw, she does sound really loving. Elliot licks, but not to that extent! HeeHee. She likes to lay curled up with her arm over her nose, and then... kind of lick at her elbow for awhile, and then in the process she makes a pretty big wet patch on the bed. I don't mind too much, but I think she's a goober.

In fact, she's doing it right now.

Well the crating went well last night. She didn't potty on her towel, but then again I have chronic insomnia so she only had to go from 3a-8a before I took her to the pee pad covered bathroom. I left one of Elliots used pads next to her box too.

I was delighted to see that she peed in the container, and then pooed on the used pad of Elliots!

Then I gave her breakfast in her kennel and I took both little Chikis (and the roomies two big dogs) outside for a little romp in the yard. Poor dear is tuckered out and in bed with me now. :D

Ah, life with Chihuahuas is so good!

·
Registered
809 Posts
Congrats on your new addition!! She is a cutie!

How wonderful to give a home to one who needs it... she'll return your love 100 fold over the years!

As far as housetraining goes, if you find she is pottying on her bedding then don't feel bad about taking it out. She can sleep on the plastic just fine, won't hurt her a bit and it's better than her continuing the habit of using bedding for potty space. As she gets better you can add in little bits of bedding (like the towel you're using) and work up to nice beds.

Sounds like you're on the right track with the potty pad training.

If she's belly crawling towards you just be happy and upbeat and she'll learn that you're no threat. Keep the rules of the house clear and consistent so she knows what to expect, that makes dogs feel more secure and she won't be as worried.

The best thing you can do for her right now is keep her life secure, low key and consistent as she finds her footing in a new home!

Good luck!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts